What Made You Create Your Forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Ashley, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Shole

Shole Regular Member

Wanting to do something fun :)

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Why dont you do something fun while waiting to do something fun :P

3. agent51

agent51 Regular Member

Yeah, I dont go there for fear of a virus.
    Anyway, if your into technology, you can visit our site! LOL. I keep the software up to date.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Someone probably hacked it did a injection. Sad really. The IPB version hes using has exploits.

5. agent51

agent51 Regular Member

The sad part is it could have been avoided with updates that were promised to us (former admins) over 18 months ago.
    IPB updates cost $25. if you let your subscription run out, um lets say 3 years in this case, all you have to do is buy a new $25 support subscription and have access to all the updates. We tried so hard to get the owner to change things and update things, but he was not interested. If I had had access to the servers, I could have done it.
    Anyway, water under the bridge, I have my own forum now.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

If I was him, I would just buy it... now im sure he realised his mistake. Because its going to be way to hard to find where he put the malware.

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Regular Member

Keeping forum software updated is a small price to pay compared to losing it all to forum spammers. That's why, even tho I did NOT want to, I forked over the money for a new vb license in April. Mine expired and I would have been unable to download any upgrades. The upside to that is now mine won't expire until the next major version so if I decide to sell it, I'll get a decent (for vb) amount out of it.

8. Firecracker

Firecracker Regular Member

For me it was just having a general interest in the Paranormal. I had been on a few and it seems they attract the crazies posting about how if you mess with this sort of stuff you will be possessed by the devil! So I thought I would create my own that I could moderate and keep control of anyone posting crazy stuff lol.

9. dan213

dan213 Regular Member

I enjoy running forums, always have had an interest in it and I like seeing something grow with me in control.

10. Fullmoon

Fullmoon Regular Member

I wanted to find people into the same music as me orginally, because I knew no-one into metal. Then its grown into a community and I love running it.

11. Jake

Jake Regular Member

What made me create my forum..... Let's see here....
    All the gaming communities that are dedicated to World of Warcraft, and nothing else.
    All the gaming communities that offer add-ons to games, that eat your hard drive.
    The constant spamming of other forums I take part it.

All these things seriously put me over the edge to make me create my forum.

-Jake

Terrorz likes this.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Good reason lol.

13. dee4life

dee4life Regular Member

It may sounds bad but I just wanted to be in control of something that was successful. I've seen other big forums and thought it would be fun to have charge of a whole community. Slightly Hitler-esque of me. Haha.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well all Admins like that feeling to be honest, but its about handling that properly.

15. bejay

bejay Regular Member

I wanted to create a Promotion Forum that worked. That had the basics, and delivered.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

So guys what made you create your forum?

17. TcM

TcM Regular Member

I created my forum because I use dto run blogs, and I got tired of it. A good friend of mine buys small forums, he promotes them and after a year or so he sells them for big profits. And he told me I should start my own forum because it's fun, and if the money comes in.. it's a plus.

18. Shole93

Shole93 Regular Member

I wanted to share some Warcraft III maps and so I made a website and from there it went to a forum so people could talk about my maps and one thing lead to another I ended up making a hosting company XD

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well making forums for a profit is not the right thing to do as its a "Community" and if you create communities just to sell them it defeats the purpose. But I agree running a forum is fun, and yea if you earn from it is always a plus.

20. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, the best thing about running an online community is enjoying yourself, sharing your ideas with others and learning new things. I haven't had the ability to buy out small forums, I'd rather develop my own and grow like that.