What is your preferred antivirus program?

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by Matthew, Aug 7, 2011.

1. moneyman

moneyman Regular Member

I have used Microsoft security essential for a year now. It is not so powerful as the paid ones but it does what it is designed for. I have had also F-secure and it was better than microsoft's antivirus though there are drawbacks in every antivirus program. However, I try to avoid downloading files from websites I don't feel secure.

2. nafretiti

nafretiti Regular Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is the antivirus protection for me because it is so much better then avast or Norton, what Norton did was considerably slowed down my computer AND it had gotten a virus when I tried to delete it from an old computer system it effected my computer and totally ruined it to the point of me having to re do the whole system all over again and so never again. Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malware bytes does the job perfectly fine rather then any paid program or one of the more heavier and at security risk clients, have spoken to many IT guys and they have said that Microsoft Security essentials is probably the best thing out there that is free and so i rather stick to that then take my chances on something else. Avast has also ruined my mothers computer and totally slowed it down, she won't listen to me in uninstalling it but I think she should, she only has it because my Uncle said it was a great program, he likes to think he knows things about computers when in theory he really doesn't.

3. Liam W

Liam W The best of the best ;)

Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, United Kingdom
    First Name:
    Liam
    I'm pretty sure I haven't replied here yet...

I use MSE... It's the lightest I know of.

Brandon likes this.
  4. carlalexander

carlalexander Regular Member

I used to use Norton antivirus but it was too heavy for my system and I decided to use Avast antivirus. It is not only free (decided to use the free version since it works just as well as the paid version), but it is also affordable and light on my system. It never slows it down.

5. xSouped

xSouped Regular Member

I honestly don't recommend using an antivirus as most of them like Norton, Kaspersky, Avira, etc take up a lot of CPU. Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall, and Sandboxie is all I'd really need however I've decided to install ESET as it seems like a nice lightweight AV to have next to Malwarebytes.

6. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I use Firefox no script as a matter of course. Sophos is very good if you use their anti-root kit against keyloggers.

Malwarebytes and threatfire are also excellent free ones.

7. mscuban

mscuban Regular Member

Howdy. I've used so many different ones over the years. I ended up going from paid services to free services due to money issues. If I were to go back to a paid service, hands down I would choose Zone Alarm Pro as it has everything together. Now, instead I am loyal to the free copy of AVG and have it backed up with SpyBot along with the firewall provided by Windows. I haven't had any issues and I intend to keep it that way until I can afford to pay for service.

8. Big al

Big al Regular Member

As I was a victim of a keylogger by some low life hacker who stole my photograph to use when he impersonated me and who also stole the password to my blog.
    I am now using Sophos on any pc I use. Yes there some lowlife hackers and scammers who will steal from you if they can.
    They will even post lies saying the password was given out, a total load of crap of course but there are those who believe them.

9. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

I really like malware bytes it seems to be a great way to detect keyloggers and rats i had a keylogger and it caught it straight away its not the best but its worth having its free and protects you for quite along time :D

10. NotoriousMK

NotoriousMK Regular Member

I'm using Bitdefender....can't complain or reccomand...I used Avast before but i can't seem to remember WHY i dropped it .....

11. WooServers

WooServers Regular Member

I used to use McAfee, which I feel is best for features and configuration options, but it also gave me much aggrevation and frequently caused severe problems with my OS, so I uninstalled it and switched to Norton. No more problems since.

12. Yelsi

Yelsi Regular Member

AVG, Kaspersky or Avast? I doubt what is better to choose.

13. Glogori

Glogori Regular Member

If the paid version, then better Kaspersky. If free, then better Avast. Here https://antivirus-review.com is a fairly extensive review of antiviruses.

14. Metteo Metteo

Metteo Metteo Regular Member

For free version i will also recommend Windows defender as it has the lightest footfrints on the resources and it is nicely compatible with Windows and making basic security intact. However, if you looking for advanced features and more compact security then i recommend Avast premium version. It has all the essential features that protects your system from various online threats including malware. See the important comparison between Avast and Windows defender and see the findings and make the right decision

15. dyrer

dyrer Regular Member

For me is bitdefender and kaspersky