What domain registrant are you with?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Iconic, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

^ServInt was pretty awesome. Just their pricing bothered me. I'm now fully back with MDD Hosting and they're just awesome. This past Sunday at midnight I had trouble moving some files on to my new VPS and Mike, the OWNER was right there answering my ticket within literally 3 minutes. You cannot ask for better service than that.

2. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Regular Member

Love the awesome service that my host which is also a domain registrant gives. They are so respectful. Oxxus Net are awesome.

3. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

ugh 1and1.com

(I have one with namesilo, godaddy and namecheap but 1and1 has my biggest site's domain)
    They are so brutal!

Monster likes this.
  4. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

Time to move the domain maybe? If they allow you to of course, I've heard that getting them to release a domain isn't always as straight forward as it should be :(

5. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

I use GoDaddy, I have over 100 domain names with them and have never had an issue.

6. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

it just takes forever for the domain to propogate.

Namesilo takes like 5 mins each time i needed to change nameservers...

And ugh, if it is this much work to change a nameserver i'm scared to transfer out :D

7. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I posted this a few years ago: 1&1 sucks.

My opinion is still the same. I'm so glad I got all my domains out of there.

Forever Young and Monster like this.
  8. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

:ROFL: sorry, 1&1 is a German company: Made in Germany. German brand quality! :ROFL:

I have a friend who worked there for many years, he recently quit.

I've been using 1&1 as my registrar since 2003, and here in Germany, they are perhaps more civil ... they aren't really so bad.

For support, I'd suggest using phone support. With some contracts, you're even entitled to premium support and get assigned a specific support person for handling your request more quickly.

You have to keep in mind that 1&1 handles hundreds of millions of web pages at the same time, in their tiny server park ... (around 2000-2002 before I joined there it was already about 3,600 rack-mount servers, probably -- now they must have 10-100 times more.)

And -- the most comical thing about 1&1 is they're a relatively small company in a small city only a few miles from where I live. ;)
    (that's at least where their HQ are or used to be -- I'm not sure how many data centers they have nowadays)

EDIT: p.s. they wrote all the software themselves, and it even used to be like that that the developers themselves were the support people (not sure if they have dedicated support staff now, but they're usually technically very knowledgeable). ;)

Dan Hutter likes this.
  9. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I've actually heard good things about 1and1 Germany. One and One US is headquartered in Pennsylvania (http://www.1and1.com/Contact) and just sucks in my book.

Monster likes this.
  10. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

moved from namecheap.com to internet.bs and saving >US$500/yr in rego costs :cool: :thumbsup:

Dan Hutter likes this.
  11. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I've never heard of these guys their site looks a little dated. Maybe I'll test the waters though with a few fresh domains. :)

12. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

Dan Hutter likes this.
  13. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

Have you looked at the address? What does it mean in the US when a company has a "suite" address? That sounds to me like it's a small office.

BTW, they offer Netviewer support, that's pretty good (I've worked for them once, they're also located in that city close to where I live) and Netviewer has been bought by Citrix (I've done something for them too, once ;) -- they have awesome products! :) ).

p.s.: You're not alone with domain moving trouble with 1&1 -- I currently have two contracts, one for UNIX based hosting, and one for Windows based hosting. In the latter is one essential domain of mine that I cannot move into the other contract. At least not without losing all the e-mail that is and has been going there or without losing web service at least temporarily. But as far as they explained to me it's a technical problem that cannot be solved yet. Also, since domain registration always applies for 1-2 years at a time, I would have to exactly cancel and re-register the domain at the boundary when the current period ends. That is, if I was willing to lose my e-mail data. So, I keep the Windows hosting contract until I need it again sometime in the future.

Dan Hutter likes this.