What do YOU want to see on AA?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Nick, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

So tell us - what do YOU want to see on AA? We're talking about revolutionary improvements and resources.
    What are you looking for in the ultimate community administrator resource? What is it that will enable you to find, obtain and do everything you want in a forum like this?

Any and all ideas - big or small - are very much appreciated.

For those of you who are working towards it, you get 10 contest points for every good idea put forth. :p :lol:

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I think you need HTML/CSS and PHP sections.

3. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

Hmm. *ponders* I actually have an idea, but can't reveal it publicly at the moment, PM me.

Something that seems to be genuinely lacking from say, certain other sites, is a high quality, unbiased feature matrix for forum software.

By high quality, I mean
    1) Note what version the feature was introduced in (or dropped - IE phpBB's Access support)
    2) Note the presence of high-quality, routinely updated mods.
    3) I would love to see a quality set of live speed benchmarks for reasonably used (~quarter gig compressed and InnoDB optimized without search data?) forums. This runs into a bit of a trust issue as I have phpBB and SMF databases of that size, but my MyBB forum is not so large yet, and I would not really be willing to give out copies of my database : /
    4) Detailed descriptions of features and how they are implemented in the various forum softwares. Not just checkboxes, you hover your mouse over it and you see a nicely updated piece of text explaining how it was implemented, caveats, etc.

4. John

John Regular Member

Maybe you should fix your own system like an certain admin forum call postfusion.
    But much better and mostly your own.

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Sexy pics of all AA admins. : D

Kidding...or am I?? As Michelle said, maybe a CSS/HTML, PHP, MySQL center? You know~

6. John

John Regular Member

I agree about the CSS/HTML, PHP, MySQL area on this forum since that would be great to get help in.

7. The Cadet

The Cadet Adept

First Name:
    Jonah
    Agree on the Programming section for php/mysql/html stuff.

Also, :V.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

We are not going to be adding that smiley to our emoticon set. It's as simple as that.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We're really aiming for big additions. Exclusive modifications custom-made for us, etc. We just want to know what you guys want to see.

Thanks again for your input so far. I look forward to reading more.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've always wanted to see what would happen if a group of volunteers gave someone a website/forum makeover. I don't necessarily mean with a vB license and custom template like in the contest, I mean using their existing software to show what could be accomplished with some tweaking and effort.

To participate they must have Google Analytics installed for x number of months beforehand. One volunteer adds mods, another optimizes for security or SEO, the graphics people do their thing, members are encouraged to link to the site or help by adding the site to directories, etc. It would be interesting to see if the changes wrought by the hivemind make a significant difference in traffic and activity at the end.

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

This is interesting.

12. MomCafe

MomCafe Adept

First Name:
    Sonya
    Not sure if anyone said but what if you had a section for unused domains people have that are wanting to either trade or sell?

I have about 7 domains I would love to get rid of or trade for.

13. John

John Regular Member

For the domain selling you can just use the marketplace?

14. MomCafe

MomCafe Adept

First Name:
    Sonya
    Ah I never saw that. Thank you.

15. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Exactly what I was thinking.

16. MomCafe

MomCafe Adept

First Name:
    Sonya
    The only thing that I find is a problem is it says
    I am even willing to trade. So if someone had a domain they didn't want that I might be interested in I would just trade them out. So that is where I am a bit hung on where to go.

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

You can feel free to use the Marketplace for buying/selling/trading anything webmaster-related. :)

Edit: Oops, I was slow in my reply. :giggle:

Feel free to post it there; I will go ahead and edit the description to accommodate trading as well. :)

18. MomCafe

MomCafe Adept

First Name:
    Sonya
    Thank you so much guys for the help. I am still making my way through the site so I am still getting use to where everything is as well as what and were I should post. :D You guys are great.

19. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

As you can see from the responses, Admins are looking for solutions.

Catch 22 at the moment. Hard to comment until there is more information on this, and you probably do not want to reveal much until you get more feedback.

I would suggest that whatever you are thinking about is easy to maintain from your point of view.

I do have 1 specific suggestion. Over on vB.org there are many modifications & templates. Then there are discussions on those which are incredibly long, and usually contain conflicting & confusing posts. Maybe quick overview of the popular mods that work well and are well supported would be good. But anyone of us could start a thread in here and ask about mods over there so maybe I've come full circle. Never mind...

20. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I still go back to the picture idea, Who's with me!?:D