What do you want from a website?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by DaveMo, Jan 31, 2006.

1. DaveMo

DaveMo Regular Member

When you visit a website, do you perfer a flashy site with lots of colors, animations and sound? Load it up with a double dose of Flash and Java? Or how about dark backgrounds with light text or do you like light backgrounds with dark text? Do you sign up for email alerts and do you use RSS feeds? I hear a lot about Podcasting, do you like this technology? Is there something that you hate when visiting sites?

I would especially like your take on the "expect quality content first and entertainment last or do you like a little of both" scenario. To me, I want content-content-content and I will entertain myself some other way.

Go ahead and defrag this topic and let the webmasters know how you feel! After all, you are the reason for the website being there in the first place.

Original post by micaman.

2. DaveMo

DaveMo Regular Member

First of all, I have cable and load time is not necessarily an issue for me. When designing, one should take in account that there are a lot of dialup surfers. But for me surfing, I can go about anywhere and not worry about the load time.

I have no set preferences for general surfing. I go to specific websites for specific wants/needs. When I go to a graphics site, I expect to see lots of graphics. If I go to a news site, then I want content, and good content at that. If I want entertainment, then I want to see pics. So, I don't fit every site in the same mold, but I will fit sites within molds depending upon what I want out of that site.

I really don't mind whether a background is dark or light, AS LONG AS that has been taken in consideration by the designer and the text or graphics are still easy to see. Of course, I don't want to go for lots of reading and there is a dark background.

I ditto the embedded music, especially the ones you can't turn off!

Good discussion!

Dave :D

3. Michelle

Michelle Regular Member

I really like websites to be 'elegant' - by that, I don't necessarily mean simple, but I like them to look neat, have nice colour schemes, and be easy to use. I have really gone off of patterned backgrounds, spinning 'email signs' etc. However, that is my personal opinion, as I know alot of people like things like that.

I also have alot of trouble with dark backgrounds.. the contrast is just too much for my eyes.

4. southernlady

southernlady Regular Member

Another new innovation that annoys the heck out of me and one I despise is the *talking buddy or pal* that everyone seems so fond of. I HATE that thing. I don't know who invented it but they should be horsewhipped.

A patterned background done properly is okay, but I agree with the spinning signs as well. I guess it depends on the background and how it's used and why it's used. Liz

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Are you talking about that annoying paperclip guy that appears on Microsoft programs. I hate that guy, he annoys me and I make him disappear if and when he shows up.

I agree with Liz if compatiable which I mean go together than they are fine. But I dislike crazy patterns put together, drives me CRAZY ( I love using that phrase).

jase :flowers:

6. Guest

Guest Guest

When I come to a new website I look for three things. 1# thing I look for is the design. 2# thing I look for is content. 3# I look for is speed (how fast the website loads) If the website is missing one of those 3 things I almost leave right away. I hope that helps.

P.S. In my personal opinion websites that use animation or flash are a big turn off for me. But thats just me.

Soulwatcher