What can you expect to pay for a dedicated server?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Soliloquy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've seen prices for dedicated server hosting quoted as low as $50 per month, but the quality of that service was not deemed to be very good. What should one expect to pay for a decent dedicated server?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

It really depends on the provider and the quality of the hardware-based components used - I wouldn't say that there's a "set standard".

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

... and I wouldn't expect the quality to be "excellent" (or even "average"), particularly for a monthly rate of $50.00.

4. Disasterpiece

Disasterpiece Addict

i have no problem in paying double, when i know that the support and the quality of the server and the network is formidable.
    i know all support workers by their first name and i know that when i have a problem, it will be solved within hours, even by night.
    also, its important for me that i have no limitations. when i need a second harddrive, they offer a fair price, instead of saying: "this is not provided bla bla"
    thats way more important than saving 10€ or 20€ imho.

for the actual costs, that depends on how much you get and how many ressources you need.

5. kev

kev Regular Member

I have seen dedicated servers priced like that. Usually they are are refurbished systems about 8 - 10 years old, Pentium III or Pentium 4 with 1 - 2 gigs of memory and IDE hard drives. There is no way they can compared to a current spec dedicated server.

One dedicated server I saw for $50 a month, was a celeron 1,000 mhz, 1 gig or memory and was about 10 - 11 years old by todays specs.

I pay $199 a month for a dual core, dedicated server with 4 gigs of memory and SATA hard drives.

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Yikes, that's pretty bad. You get what you pay for when it comes to dedicated servers, I guess.

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

The dedicated server that I'll be moving to (including AA) within the next week will be roughly $230.00 per month and is an Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM and a 1000GB SATAII HDD.

8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Chinese language I'd have to learn soon x.x

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

You'll learn - I'll teach you my ways when it comes to dedicated servers. :)

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Well, I know whats Intel Core 2 Duo... and the 4gig RAM since those are part of the specs of my comp... but after that it was like chinese. D:

11. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Sigh... I don't make enough with AdSense to cover that. Working on it though!

12. kev

kev Regular Member

Some hosting companies will buy bulk computers from companies that do massive swaps.

Lets say that a company hires your company to replace 1,000 computers with new work stations. Your company will take those old systems, take the old hard dive out, replace it with a new one, then auction the systems off in bulk.

So it may not really be a "server" that your buying. It might be an old workstation that was tested to make sure there are no memory problems, new hard drive, format, install linux and you have a discount server.

I used to have a gaming buddy that would do massive swaps in the Boston area. They would replace 1,000+ workstations at a time. But they were in the medical field. Because of the sensitive information on the systems, they had a truck that had a grinder on it. They would take the systems, throw them into this "grinder" that would reduce the computer to hundreds of pieces of metal no bigger then a quarter.

But other companies would give a discount if they got to keep the systems. Which would be stripped, and parts sold on Ebay, or other sites. Or just sell the system to companies that will refurbish, then resell.

13. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Keep in mind, it's not necessary to pay that much per month to purchase a server that consists of high-quality hardware. ;)

14. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

What would you say that would cost, though? Obviously $50/mo. will get you something old, but what would something halfways decent though not top-of-the-line run?

15. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'd say anywhere from $150.00 to $180.00, although I've seen them as low as $100.00 per month and well-equipped. :)

16. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

That's good to know... maybe I'll be able to handle a $100/mo. set up soon/eventually. I'm still managing with HostGator, but my forum continues to grow.

17. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    We went with a more "affordable" host and it has worked out great for a year and a half, have not had a single issue with them at all. They basically sell you the hardware and bandwidth (or lease rather) and additional services cost more; if you can manage your own server you shouldn't have a reason to pay anything more than the base. They noticed a surge of traffic coming from our site after we posted what we were upgrading to and within 10 minutes of the thread start they had signed up on the board and started answering questions that people had. The guy even stayed around for awhile and would answer questions that people had in our computers and technology subforum that weren't even related to hosting or their services.

We started off with:

Processor: Pentium 4
    L2 Cache: 1MB
    RAM: 1GB
    Drive: 160GB SATA
    Bandwidth: 1300GB (100Mbps port)
    Base Price: $75 / month

since then we've moved up twice to:

Processor: 2x Xeon Irwindale
    L2 Cache: 4MB (2x2MB)
    RAM: 2GB
    Drive: 160GB SATA
    Bandwidth: 2000GB (100Mbps port)
    Base Price: $125 / month

In a year and a half we have not had a significant outage, billing issue, really any issue whatsoever that we didn't create ourselves. I only wish that they had an affiliate program!

Compare & Review Our Dedicated Servers | Cheap hosting plans - CariNet

It's hard to believe that you can get all of that plus great service for what they charge, but it's out there. I can't imagine switching unless they ended up doing something like ThePlanet years back.

18. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Oh dear... I use way more bandwidth per month than any of their packages.

19. Chris

Chris Regular Member

An individual community consumes that much bandwith, or all of them combined?

20. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

My best one uses more bandwidth than they offer, the others combined would probably be under the limit. Have to add it all up :)