What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by kev, Jul 2, 2009.

1. kev

kev Regular Member

Instead of "what are you listening to", what book are you reading right now and why?

Last weekend I finished - Caesar, life of a colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy. Its an excellent read for anyone interested in Roman history, military history or even politics. The book goes into great detail about everyday roman life. Everything from giving birth, to the way they died and were cremated was covered.

I read this because I wanted a better understanding of Rome, roman history, and Julius Caesar.

The book I picked up last weekend discusses the Black Death (the Bubonic plague) and its effects on Europe. I'am at work and do not remember the title right now. I'll get it posted later.

I am reading this book to understand how society reacts in the face of a pandemic. And I also want real life examples of how people survived during those difficult times.

2. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I just finished reading a suspense by Lisa Jackson called Wicked Game.
    I like anything by her, Lisa Gardner, Catherine Coulter, Kay Hooper and Iris Johansen.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Complete poems and stories from Edgar Allan Poe <3 He's my favorite writer, I wonder why! xD

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

4th of July by James Patterson. ;)

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I am currently reading these books:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Laurels-Kitchen-Bread-Book-Whole-Grain/dp/0812969677/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246546317&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking: Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, Bronwen Godfrey: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Consumers-Guide-Effective-Environmental-Choices/dp/060980281X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246546366&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists: Michael Brower, Warren Leon: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Stone-Negotiator-Trilogy-Book/dp/0373802927/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246546388&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Heart of Stone (The Negotiator Trilogy, Book 1): C.E. Murphy: Books[/ame]

6. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

I'm reading

As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires by Bruce Weber

7. dynastygal

dynastygal Regular Member

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.

8. kev

kev Regular Member

The book about the black death that I am reading is called:

Return of the Black Death - The World's Greatest Serial Killer by Susan Scott and Christopher Duncan

I'am on page 42 right now.

9. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Actually, I have to add some more books.

"El Manual Del Guerrero De La Luz"-Paulo Cohelo, "Mis Putas Tristes"-Gabriel GarcĂ­a Marquez and "Sirena Selena Vestida De Pena" I forgot the author's name

10. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

What I've heard/read (not alot) about the affects of this period on human society is fascinating. I think it shows that thinking of such catastrophes as nature's way to slow population growth misses the societal breakdown that goes with it.

Interesting that human society has a sort of memory of this that won't go away ... still using the term "plague" as slang.

11. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

I'm reading two books ...

Finishing Columbine, a recently published book about the school shootings 10 years ago. I live a few miles from the school. It's a chronicle of everything known (by this author) that the two killers did leading up to the shootings, and the aftermath.

Someone who knows I'm reading it asked why the killers did it, per the book. The boys left a lot of material telling why ... all I can say is that it is nothing that will make sense to anyone not already pre-disposed to blow up the world, as they were. It's hard to find any real problems they had that they did not create for themselves. There wasn't much in the way of bullying, in spite of press reports. Most of the people they "didn't like" barely even knew them and hadn't had any negative contacts with them. Rather, the boys selected high-profile students they were probably jealous of. And those weren't the students they killed, they killed those who could not get away. The book established to me that the world didn't provoke them to do it, the problem was inside their heads.

The other book discusses training techniques for a certain area of advanced riding (horses.) The new Heuschmann book about classical vs modern dressage. Nothing anyone here would care about. :lol

12. Cole

Cole Addict

First Name:
    Cole
    I am currently reading:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sirens-Titan-Novel-Kurt-Vonnegut/dp/0385333498/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247010331&sr=8-1]The Sirens of Titan[/ame]

Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors, and I am trying to finish up all of his works. :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Temple-Federal-Reserve-Country/dp/0671675567/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247010403&sr=1-1]Secrets of the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country[/ame]

13. Pamela

Pamela Regular Member

well i m reading moonlight on snow by Vergina Nelson coz i m luving it!