We Need Your Minor Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Tyler, Oct 29, 2009.

1. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    Nope, it gives me a list of all topics I have posted in. In my case two pages.

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

That's because you are subscribed to all threads you have posted in. If you limit your subscriptions, then the list will show what you choose to manually subscribe to.

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Is there anyone on AA that can explain what he is asking about that knows SMF & Vb? Clearly there is mis-communication occurring.

Personally I'm lost.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I'm lost too, to be honest.

5. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    In SMF I have my list of topics I have subscription enabled for. It's similar to "Subscribed threads" in VB. That's the "Current Topic Notifications" image.

Besides that, I have a link right underneath the "You Have xx Unread Posts" in SMF which is called "Show unread replies to your posts". That's the "Updated topics" image.

Imagine you are at work and what to check out if any replied to any topic you subscribed to in a forum you are part of. You then just go to the forum, and click "Show unread replies to your posts".
    It wil give you the list, and only the list of unread replies to your posts.

I know I can use the "Subscribed threads" in VB as well, but it takes more mouse clicks and gives me a list I have to look through.

The function give you an instant view of new posts. If there are a few you don't want to bother reading, you just mark them as read and they dissapear from your list.

6. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    Seems the similar feature in MyBB is called tracking.

7. Yoshi

Yoshi Regular Member

Tracking in MyBB shows you any PMs you have sent to people that hasn't been read yet. Well, it was when I used to use it anyway.

8. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    The closest you're going to get in vB is your control panel's homepage:

View attachment 696

Where you will get a list of the threads you are subscribed to that have unread replies:

View attachment 697

Further than this, what you are looking for DOES NOT EXIST in vB. Each forum software is different with different features.

9. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

^ You better catch up on your UnRead Posts! :P hehe

10. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    LOL!!!

11. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    I have no unread post.

12. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    Actually, the only reason I signed up here, was because I saw a lot of wrong statements about SMF.
    Some members here don't like SMF, that's their problem. But they speak poor about SMF, although they know nothing about SMF.

I'm not trying to tip over people to use SMF if they don't like it. But newcommers should have the proper information in the posts they read, and not wrong statements from someone who don't know what they are talking about.

This community seems to be parted in two - the IPB/VB/MyBB users and then all the others running shit forum software. The last part doesn't seem to be welcome here.

We Need Your Minor Suggestions!
    Well I got a handfull of small bugs I could report, but why should I even bother! I get poor comments back on just about any post I make in this forum!

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The alleged division of membership is something beyond my control, but I, in no way, try to emphasize such a division. Members of all backgrounds are welcome here.

Not from the staff. We read and acknowledge all suggestions put forth. :)

14. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    How have you gotten poor responses in this thread? People have tried to explain that the exact feature you're looking for is not available in vB, which this forum runs, like it or not, and we've tried to give you the best substitute within the features of this board.

15. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    I didn't talk about this thread in particular. All I asked for was a feature, and it isn't there. It's basic in SMF, and I thought it was basic in all forums.

16. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I'll take your simple request for a feature and raise you on the fact that every thread you've posted on has been in some snarky manner for non-SMF. On another thread regarding permissions in fact, where pictures and versed ppl w/ the software explained. All you did was set a tone of -- You're all still wrong morons!!

So, at least for me, I picked up on how rude you were, and perhaps mistakenly construed that all your other comments in other threads were just aimed at nit picking, not mere requests.

i.e., paid vs free argument

In my mind, if you one wants to advocate for some software or anything for that matter, you start new threads with overly positive and factual characterization as opposed to nitpicking the other ones.

/ova on my suggestion

17. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I've got one here for thread identification.

Thread Prefixes. I think only some basic ones could be beneficial that goes across all software types. (e.g., [Help], [Support], [Resolved], [Update], [Request], [How To]).

Some threads have a purpose like the above, where some do not.

Just a thought, but not a biggie.

18. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    What do you want me to do? Lie about the permissions in SMF?

19. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

alex@, I hope you or at least someone that knows SMF stays around. I'm not terribly thrilled at the moment and will continue to research other software.

From what I can tell SMF has some serious potential.

20. alex@

alex@ Adept

First Name:
    Alex
    I know I made some harsh posts, but it's quite annoying to have to explain the same again and again.

And yeah, SMF 2 is a huge step from SMF 1.xx and with a lot of potential.