We are moving to VPS

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Peacelily, Sep 7, 2009.

1. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Wow, sounds like you've had quite a story. Definitely share with us soon, as I'm looking into moving into a VPS/Dedicated next May, and don't need any hassles.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

It's been my pleasure. ;) I'm writing you a private message as I type this up.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

Yeah, like I said, dedicateds are where it's at for popular forums.
    I'm sorry you had to find this out the hard way. If you need any help getting things straightened out, let me know and I'll help out if I can.

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I think it depends on who the VPS is with.

5. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

I tried to say : /

6. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Depends yo :yes:

7. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Well, I am out of my self-imposed exile from talking about this now that our sites are back up.

Here is apparently what happened.

1. I am clueless about things and probably could have made a better decision
    2. I still believe in my host and am satisfied with the service.
    3. What was explained to me, and feel free to call BS on this if it sounds like it because I know from nothing...

what we had:
    2 Shared Accounts - host limits each server to 29 accounts. Downside, BOTH of our accounts were on the same server so we competed against each other. Did not know what up front.

What we tried to go to:
    VPS

Why it did not work... their explanation:
    In regards to the server load. You were indeed using this much processing on the shared server, which is what prompted this recommendation. You simply have to remember that our shared servers are Dual Quad-Core behemoths designed for shared hosting implementations of which you had no hard resource limitations on. Simply our staff reviews for fair-share usage and contacts clients going over their fair-share.

With the virtual server, you're allowed to use 100% of your entire server for your usage. But, you no longer have the ENTIRE processing power of a full dual quad-core machine at your fingertips. You now have a "slice" of the pie that's guaranteed to be YOUR slice and only your slice. The benefit, you can use as much as you want without affecting other clients (and vice versa). The downside is that you can't "burst" to the full power of that behemoth shared server. Then again, it's that bursting on the behemoth server that was putting you over fair-share usage.

Increasing the size of your 'slice' of the pie (upgrading to a more robust Virtual plan) will make things perform better.

So, I guess it's kinda like, we were passengers in a Mercedes-Benz Server and when we wanted more room, they said "Sure!" and stuck us in a Toyota Corolla. I suspect it was doomed for failure from the beginning.

Now we are on a dedicated server, probably not the best one that could be found if I had the time or resources to spend more time on it, but due to my real life situation and the fact that the band (my site is an FC for a band) had their single drop today, we had no time for down time.

Chris Martin held my hand through this and I am eternally grateful.

If we had only needed to move the Blog side of our site, the VPS would have worked well, but between the Blog and the vB, we could just not hang.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

How has your new dedicated machine been running? Hopefully, there have been no major issues.

9. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Good for you! I hope it's working out for you and there are no server issues now.

10. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

It sucks, we have hundreds of people who cannot access the site due to "server not found" errors.

:shrug:

Next up, moving hosts.

:o GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

11. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    :(

Something similar happened to me when I was with Site5. They screwed up some settings when moving a site from another host to them, and it took WAY too long to fix it. :(

12. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Let me guess, you changed the name server. If not, ignore the rest of this post.

If so that will self correct eventually.

Could you give a clue as to the location of the server/name server and the people having trouble accessing it? We are in the usa and it took 2 weeks for all parts of Europe to find it via url.

Maybe go to the old IP on the shared server and put up a static page with the new IP of the dedicated server that they can click on?

13. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

I can help you with optimizing a small dedicated server, if need be.