Want to rank higher for the keyword virtual pets

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by cpvr, Apr 3, 2014.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Hello everyone,
    My Virtual pets forum is currently ranked #13 on google for virtual pets and I was wondering if anyone here can share some tips on how I can outrank the other sites currently and rank in the top 10 because if I could do that, I'd get a lot more traffic from google on a daily basis. We currently rank for a lot of long tail keywords like "Virtual pet sites" and "sim games forum", so I'd greatly appreciate any tips that you could share.

I've been building links as "Virtual pets forum" and "virtual pets community" along with "Virtual pets" as the link anchor. I've owned the domain since 2006 and some of the sites I'm competing against have their domains since the mid 90's and early 2000's.

2. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Introduce thread tags.

3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

4. bauss

bauss Regular Member

Looks like a good addon. I might install it too. Does it automatically add tags/keyword to threads that are found via search?

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I don't think it does. I wish it did though.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

With the newest update by Google, you really have to do more on site SEO. And you also need good content. If you have ever spammed backlinks anywhere, I would suggest going back and removing them. Google is now penalizing people for spamming their links, took long enough. I never understood why they awarded spammers. But, finally they do not.

Check out my SEO guide on the site, it has a lot of helpful info. But, I think you are doing fairly decent.. I did a search and over 50 million results and you are number 20.. Not horrible Also, I noticed you do not have any keywords defined in your meta.

Alfa1 likes this.
  7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I got a lot of backlinks from pet sites, large and small that are currently in my niche. I added <h1>virtual pets</h1> to the main homepage the other day. I have virtual pets & sim games in my meta description. Should I implement meta keywords as well? What's the link to your seo article on here?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

http://admin-talk.com/threads/4012/

its in my signature :P

9. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

A little. It depends on your tags. You will need to moderate your tags database and delete low quality tags and make sure that you have relevant tags and that these are applied to all relevant threads. I give my members reputation rewards for tagging relevant threads with the important tags I define. I disallow adding tags by lower ranking members. Bad tags need to be reported for deletion.
    Automatic tagging is possible if you really know what you are doing. Mess up and Google will mess you up. lol.

10. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

@Iconic installed the plugin earlier that displays the tags on our homepage/index. We were going through a lot of threads earlier adding tags to them. We don't have reputation yet on my community, but we do have a likes system. We used to have reputation though when we were running vBulletin 4. I hope this helps me a lot, thank you for the help. I really appreciate the advice.

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

You could add trophies for tagging x number of threads.