VPS Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Superboy, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Fergal

Fergal Regular Member

I use Nimbus Hosting to host our business forum and am extremely happy with their services. They provide excellent support and are very experienced when it comes to hosting forums.

2. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I may have to give them a view, they sponsor us, maybe I could get a deal on hosting :D
    I'm sick and tired of my current host.

4. Fergal

Fergal Regular Member

I couldn't recommend them more, our members noticed a big improvement in our site speed as soon as we moved to them and we never had any problems or issues with them at all. They simply know how to host forums.

Brandon likes this.
  5. ConfabIt

ConfabIt Regular Member

I'm with 123-reg; they've not done us any problems so far, so sticking with them since they're cheaper than most.

In the future, if I ever make money through my forum, I'll upgrade to a better host.

6. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

Brandon who are you with now?

I've since moved to wiredtree but they are a wee bit pricey for me(119.00). I still use BS for side projects.

@Fergal With Nimbus, are your members based in the UK area? I ask because I know Nimbus is a UK host.
    I was interested in them at one point but if i am not mistaken you can't use private nameservers with them, can you? You
    use their nameservers?

7. Fergal

Fergal Regular Member

Our members are English speakers and are global (US, UK, Ireland, Asia). When we switched to Nimbus our traffic increased, so there was no negative effect when we moved from a US host.

Yes, we use their nameservers, I don't know if they provide private nameservers or not. You could probably find out from their website or by contacting them directly.

8. Gregman

Gregman Regular Member

I just moved to Wired Tree and I have used them in the past. Their servers are rock solid! They cost a little more, but you get what you pay for.

Greg

9. Superboy

Ya wiredtree is great!

10. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

How long has wiredtree been around? Their VPS servers look nice and pretty cheap.

11. Superboy

Since 2006....I think.

I wouldn't say it is cheap lol.
    Quite expensive but they are worth the money haha

12. Peace

Peace Regular Member

I've had a really awesome experience with KnownHost so far. I've opened up 10+ tickets in my first month since migrating, and every one has been answered within 5 minutes. It's quite a leap from the 2 week ticket wait I experienced at BlueHost (really don't recommend them for VPS - can't speak to shared).

KH also has SSD VPS, which was our main reason for moving. It's super speedy! Noticeable difference. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them though.

13. KW802

KW802 Regular Member

After a bit of searching around I'm in the midst of migrating away from a dedicated server with Burst.net to a VPS (SSD-3) with KnownHost. I read both the good & bad reviews of KnownHost but ultimately went with them as the good reviews were generally really good and a few people I know are already hosting with them.

Peace likes this.
  14. IcEWoLF

IcEWoLF Regular Member

I use BigScoots as well and been super happy with their service!
    Fast support I may add as well too.

Superboy likes this.
  15. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

My friend owns a RSPS and he uses hawk host paying 49/month for vps and webhosting which is pretty amazing he said its brilliant as well as this he gets ddosing protection not the best but it can withstand a hell of a lot.

16. djbaxter

djbaxter Regular Member

Have a look at A Small Orange: http://asmallorange.com/hosting/

I switched to them after several bad experiences with others and I've been there ever since. Support is superb when you need it.

I will acknowledge that I've never been on a Cloud VPS (they didn't exist back when I was using a VPS and I've been on a dedicated server for a while now).

17. BoostN

BoostN Regular Member

ServInt.net for a few years now.. so far so good. I will say their response time is top notch!

I'm running this:

Essential VPS
    60 GB Storage | 1 TB Monthly Transfer | 768 MB Guaranteed RAM | 1.5 GB Burst RAM | Hardware RAID 10 | 4 IP Addresses | FREE cPanel/WHM | FREE Daily Off-Server Backups

I did have the CPU max out last week causing a database issue, they informed me I possibly needed to upgrade soon to help with the capacity.

I'm running 3 forums: 1 is pretty active with (500K posts), 2 is brand new.. Also have 1 eCommerce website, and one static website so I'm getting my use out of it.. :D

cpvr likes this.
  18. flametiger

flametiger Regular Member

Any minimal specifications for VPS? I'm just starting out and want to migrate my forum to VPS.

19. The1LT

The1LT Regular Member

Only just got set up on my first VPS this week. I went for an unmanaged Linode, 20$ a month plan.

My site is amazingly quick compared to before, worth every penny

In terms of the challenge of setting up an unmanaged VPS I was starting pretty much from scratch. I played around with some Linux Redhat distributions about 25 years ago but that was the extent of my experience. So was starting pretty cold.

Took me 4 days to get it all figured out but in the end it was worth it and the Linode library is a model for what documentation should look like.

They also have a bunch of pre-built scripts if you want to go that way. I built mine from scratch as I wanted to understand how it was set up and then optimize it but If you go for the standard LAMP stack, using their documentation and walk through I reckon you would be set up in all of about 60 minutes.

In terms of the 4 day time frame it was 2 days researching what was the best option and 2 days setting up. So I spent a good bit of time looking into everything that's available.

My other close contender was Digital Ocean as it's cheaper but in the end I preferred to go with Linode as they also have an option whereby you can use a free VPS for a few hours and see if it's gonna be something for you. I was sold after about 20 minutes.

20. Wincho

Wincho Regular Member

What does the set-up/ installation process entail?