Vimeo vs YouTube.

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Blake, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Blake

Blake Regular Member

As far as visiting a site and how the videos show on it, I think Vimeo wins hands down in the aesthetic category. It's simple and direct and has everything you need there. And they had HD before YouTube did.

But now YouTube has HQ and HD both. But the biggest thing YouTube has is a MASSIVE number of members and traffic.

Which do you prefer though? Or do you upload videos to each service?

2. Yoshi

Yoshi Regular Member

I find Vimeo MUCH more attractive, but I hardly use it. Youtube has all I need there so I don't need to change. If I upload anything I'll use Youtube for that too.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

You tube>Vimeo

Vimeo, I had to wait 6-7 hours for my video to get accepted, not fair.

4. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Vimeo is a bit more picky. For instance, anything video game-related on Vimeo is automatically removed, with a warning sent to your email. While I do love using them for the robotics team I'm a member of, they will never be an end-all because of some restrictions they have on Videos. Also, they limit your HD uploads, and YouTube does not.

But generally, I love Vimeo more than YouTube, especially for the looks.

5. Dave

Dave Regular Member

You tube for me..never heard of vimeo..?

6. kev

kev Regular Member

I broadcast on both, but prefer youtube.

With youtube you can join the partner program. Until vimeo offers something like the youtube partner program, I see no reason to change my focus.

7. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Vimeo pisses me off, although that's where I have my Fiestas de San Sebastian video.

9. Blake

Blake Regular Member

Is it because of the time it takes to approve a video?

10. Dave

Dave Regular Member

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I don't upload videos, so my preference probably doesn't count. You may have guessed, but YouTube is my choice. I am not picky about my video provider... as long as I can find what I want, I'm happy... and YouTube has what I'm looking for 99% of the time.

12. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I couldn't agree more.

I'm simply an observer. When I visit YouTube, I search for the videos in which I'm interested in viewing and they usually are provided to me after the first search - relevant content is what's important to me, and YouTube delivers in this light.

13. Blake

Blake Regular Member

I can agree with Nick and Chris when it comes to my going and looking for something. And also if I'm hoping to upload a video for public consumption, then YouTube will get the most eyes on it.

But when it comes to aesthetics and presentation, Vimeo wins. Esp if I'm looking to embed on a blog or in a forum...

14. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Vimeo more or less promotes people who actually put the videos together, or directors/producers specifically. When you browse Vimeo, you'll see people testing out their HD cameras, some home videos, a couple of indie music videos, etc.

That's the appeal of Vimeo. No-BS. Not overcrowded with hundreds of people uploading the same banned copyrighted material, not saturated with entire seasons of House. Just pure, creative, original content.

Don't get me wrong, I still love YouTube, and visit it 99% of the time when I'm looking for videos. But Vimeo does have its appeal, too.

15. Chris

Chris Regular Member

You know, Vimeo has an extremely clean interface - one that I failed to acknowledge earlier. That alone is a breath of fresh air, particularly seeing as YouTube's appearance (in general) throws off an outdated glare.

16. Blake

Blake Regular Member

And the content of Vimeo is different to a large degree as well. Here's a quote from their site:
    So you won't see episodes of The Amazing Race, or clips from SNL or basically anything from TV on there. But YouTube has massive traffic. Vimeo seems more, um, "classy" I think. And I especially like their "floating controls" that disappear where you simply view the video. But each has a purpose and draw.

Here's a good comparison article of a handful of video options

17. kev

kev Regular Member

And this is why a lot of people use youtube

Companies like tigerdirect and Warner Brothers use youtube to showcase their products. Which are nothing more then an infomercial or a sales outlet.

The videos I make are like an infomercial. They are supposed to promote my forum and provide some information at the same time. If a video hosting site does not want that kind of content. Fine, I'll find somewhere else to upload.

18. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

And that's fine. I don't think Vimeo set out to replace YouTube, so a lot of people won't see the appeal. They just cater to specific types of videos, and they do that pretty well. It lets directors and home-video users upload their movies/videos with the highest quality (even when not in HD) without all the clutter of YouTube when viewing.

19. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

xD They are really not trying to replace YouTube, they just want to be a more attractive viable option for people who are serious about videos, just like viddyou.

20. kev

kev Regular Member

Any video hosting site that is serious about attracting creative video producers should offer adsense integration. Because the best video producers follow the money.

That is why the people that produce the best videos are on youtube. Companies like warner brothers, and the other record companies, they put their videos on youtube to make money. They do this through the partner program.

If a video site wanted to attract companies like warner brothers, they need to provide a way for publishers to make money. And until someone offers a program like the youtube partner program, youtube is going to attract the more creative video publishers.