vBulletin 5 Connect Demo

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by AWS, Jan 18, 2014.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
  2. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well playing with the CMS and again you can only choose one category for an article why not multiple categories.

3. Terry

Terry Regular Member

To be honest i would rather not play with it ..

4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    That might be something @BirdOPrey5 can answer.

This is the first time I've installed and used vbulletin 5 as an admin. In fact it's been aa while since I used vbulletin at all. There are some things I like, some things I dislike and somethings that are broken or feel broken.

5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    Concerning multiple categories for an article- this was raised previously in JIRA and this was the response from Kevin, the lead developer-

AWS likes this.
  6. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Why was it never considered in the first place to allow this? Some one that developed the CMS should have known that this would be a option that people where interested in it's even in Jira. Now its develop and release like this and later when it happens because there many features and improvements in Jira hope that it get multiple categories.

@AWS Is the vBulletin 5 demo running on the same server as this forum?

7. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    No it's not. Its running on a new server I put online last week. This site will eventually get moved to it.

8. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well i presume the new server is faster then this one because the CMS of vBulletin 5 is very slow.

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    New server has more memory, faster drives and mysql on raid 10 so if it is slow then it's not the servers fault.

10. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well that figures, loading time is around the 9 to 10 seconds and this site that has more on it loads very fast. If its going to that server this forum it would be awesome.

AWS likes this.
  11. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    I quoted Kevin's answer exactly so you know as much as I do- it seems they intend for tags to replace categories.

12. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well tags can be useful but when done wrong not all content will be found.

13. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Wordpress uses tags. If it is down like they did it it will be much better than categories.

14. Merenguista

Merenguista Regular Member

First Name:
    Ilyas
    Thanks for the demo ..

The CMS look most unpleasant. I don't like it :(

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I agree, it's truly dreadful and currently full of bugs.

16. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    The UI of the CMS is hideous why would anyone make an section like this (see below)

1.jpg

The title is not prominent enough in this, the created by is like they see the CMS as part of the forum should say Author: <name> and published should never be dates like yesterday, today, minute or seconds ago but full date and time. The reason is that its a article and not some random post on a forum. The whole section of Created, published,views and comments is IMHO wrong its irrelevant information you come for the article it self not the stats or who wrote it.

When viewing the article its much better but a lot of white space and the title is not prominent enough.

2.jpg

I would also give the option to show avatar or not but default it should be turned off its a article system not a forum post. I would give the writers of an article an option to include on the side something like this (see below)

3.jpg
    Then there is no need for clutter at the title and you can provide more information. The email address is an image done for scrappers. You see username and what his function is below that. This option could be made very fast and when they post an article they can either turn it on or off but default should be on.

The CMS is just basic as it can be you can't alter the layout like in vBulletin 4 its now one column the splitting of the screen what you could do in vBulletin 4 is gone i cant find it.

4.jpg

Above this is the options you have in the 5.1.0 beta 1.

While i presumed that the CMS would be similar like vBulletin 4 it is not at all options in the AdminCP are missing or gone (either of the two). The CMS is now just a very very basic article system that has issues, the editor is not good with importing from other sources it removes the markup of the text while this can be maintained.

Sorry to say but how this is made it looks like a intern worked on this and got the order to make an CMS for vBulletin and build this. You are better off making a bridge for Wordpress because it looks better and you can do more with it. This looks like a script that was taken from a script website and altered to be included in vBulletin.

zappaDPJ likes this.
  17. Merenguista

First Name:
    Ilyas
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  18. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    To bad i can't understand French so the article for many is not readable without translation.

I really like EZ Publish but its very hard to install correctly. e-majine never heard of it searched for it but looked like French language only. Joomla can do nice stuff to same as Wordpress, Drupal. Typo3 never liked that one its to work intensive when i looked at it. Magento is more for stores then for normal websites but very good what i heard. Prestashop, Ametys and Rubedo never heard of those.

Merenguista likes this.
  19. Merenguista

First Name:
    Ilyas
    @we_are_borg So do you think that vB CMS is much less powerful than other CMS scipts ?

20. we_are_borg

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Yes the CMS in vBulletin is childish it shows that vBulletin has no clue what so ever how to make a CMS. The vBulletin CMS is something you start with when you just have your site and are learning the ropes, but after sometime you know there are far better systems and cheaper solutions out there.

Look at something like this

http://ez.no/Products/Demos-Videos/eZ-Flow-Video-Tutorial

This is how content should behave and the timeline is great, it shows that they know what people need.