vBRewrite started on the bad way

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Chris Teriakis, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Chris Teriakis

Chris Teriakis Regular Member

Don't know how many of you have you got recently email (and how many copies of the same email) from vBRewrite, but it's really frustated what they did.
    1. It's a spam email. In person never subscribe to their mailinglists. But ok. I can accept it as something that everyday happens.
    2. Till now I've received more than 200 copies of the same email in 3 parts. Sunday 07.00am (GMT+3), Sunday 07.00pm, Monday 07:00am. Seems that their mailer does not works well.
    3. Other recipients email addresses are visible.
    This is a bad start for them. I registered in their site and after waiting some hours for registration approval I post my complains in their forum. In minutes my post removed. Not even a "Sorry for troubles...".

But what mostly kicks my mind is how it came 2 SEO scripts (DBTech and vBRewrite) to be released only a few days after closing vBSeo? Did that companies coded them in a few days? I don't think so. I believe that the authors of vbseo found a great way to get money. They closed their site and then sold their code to others, or parternshiped with others, to get new fresh money. This is just my opinion. I can't prove it. But I have a feeling that I'm not away from the truth.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  2. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I know the DBTech guys have been working on theirs for a while. I'm subscribed to their newsletter.

Other than that I got 46 emails from vBRewrite. Other email addresses were in plain text in the header. Gmail caught them all as spam so I'm good. I'd never use a product advertised via spam anyhow.

3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Good thing I never signed up on there site. If I get any emails from them then I'd want to know how they got my email.

4. Andres

Andres Regular Member

You are way too far from the truth.

5. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Well what is the truth then?

6. Andres

Andres Regular Member

vBSEO source code is publicly viewable. Anyone with good PHP coding skills can see it, right? As such, all of its features can be ripped off -or copied- and easily adapted to be run on a newer version of vBulletin.

The code may not be the same, but starting from scratch (research and development) is something that certainly doesn't take just a few months, and I'm confident that the guy(s) behind vBRewrite didn't take the effort nor the time that it took for the original team from Crawlability (Oleg, Juan, Joe, Mert, Brian, etc. etc.) to make of vBSEO such a stable and worth buying product (for several customers). How much time did it take for vBSEO to reach its maximum potential back when it was a respected piece of software among many of the hundreds of vBulletin owners? A couple of months? I hardly think so.

I can't tell where the journey will end with all of the vBSEO-related stuff (including this topic), but if I knew that what Chris feels to be the truth would be actually true, I'd be the very first person yelling it out loud. It's just not the right thing to do after seeing what has happened around vBSEO as a whole.

7. Chris Teriakis

Nobody can be "in" the true. But is appears strange to me that a new company/script appears just 2 weeks after vbseo closed the shop. Ok, maybe they don't share the code. But a deal like "I'll go out of market, I'll give you the mailinglist of our users, and I'll let the field empty to you" is something that can done

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  8. Chris Teriakis

Me too eigther. And if you check them, they started talking for their SEO script around a months after that spam email that the ex-owner of vBSeo sent infroming vbseo users that the vbseo is ready to fold.

9. Chris Teriakis

The one (and only one) thing that I like in Facebook is that most users are using their real photo and name. So you know with whom you're talking. In forums is so different. eg Your nickname says "Andes", but the avatar is the one that MARCO1 is using at vb.org. Maybe you just liked it and you got if for use. But there is also a big chance to be the same person.

Only if you're the same person with MARCO1 I've a straight question for you. In this post http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2463780&postcount=41 there is a quote (can't find it, maybe it has been removed):
    Is this valid or not? Are you one of the team? If yes, can you please tell me why, you wrote:
    like that you're not one of them? And why, even in the last minute, you don't say "Sorry guys for all troubles.... we had a problem with our mailer that's why we bombed you with 100's copies of the same email.". Everybody does mistakes. Who don't? The problem is not, if you're making mistakes. The problem is when you don't have the power to realize and accept them.

10. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

11. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I would be not too happy clicking on that link.
    Domain Information
    Analyzed On2013-11-26 10:29 GMT
    Website Address dropbox.com
    Blacklist StatusBLACKLISTED
    Detection Ratio2 / 27 (7 %)
    Domain 1st Registered1995-06-27 (19 years ago)

Alexa Rank114
    Website Blacklist Report
    EngineStatusInfo
    SCUMWARE DETECTED
    hpHosts DETECTED

12. Big al

Big al Regular Member

This is what facebook would like, but reality is somewhat different. Due to security concerns I NEVER post my real name anywhere on the internet.

Facebook are totally helpless to enforce this "rule" of theirs. I have reported to them about some one using multiple different names and even gave them the guys real name and the names of the alias. result? No reply.

Lets look at what facebook themselves say:
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/17/3322436/facebook-fake-name-pseudonym-middle-name

There are lots more information that shows Fb are not capable of enforcing their rules.

13. Chris Teriakis

It depends on how comfortable (and/or secure) each one of us, is feeling on the net. eg my daughter (who is already 33yo) never post her name. She post a photo only after 3 years there. Can you imagine that she scares to chat with webcam even with me??

From the other side I'm always using my real name (even as nickname) and my real photo. Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm feeling safe. But my experiance (in real life too) says that if someone wants to make something bad against you, he/she will do it. Soon or late, has no difference. He/she'll do.

Same applies for hackers. Never protected my site(s). I know that if hackers focus to my site they'll hack it even if I had the higher level of security. Big goverment sites, Bank sites etc etc with dedicated team for security have been hacked.

Walking on this way, never have been hacked, never someone tried to use my credit card online (I'm using cc online since 1995), nobody tried to use my name and/or photo to post illegal content. What I believe is that hackers (and any type of bad persons out there), they want to "win". An open door will never makes them feel winners.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  14. Andres

Andres Regular Member

I am in no way related to MARCO1 nor any of his projects. I just realized about this yesterday afternoon.

15. Andres

Andres Regular Member

Andrés is my real name, and if I use this avatar is just to be recognized easily. Period.

If this makes you feel more comfortable, I can share a screenshot of my personal ID with you, and even link you to my FB profile.

16. Chris Teriakis

Then my apologies...... That's why I've wrote that "IF you're...". The avatar made me think of it. It's the same as MARCO1's at vb.org and also I've seen it at vbseo.com. One from the support team was using this avatar.
    Again sorry.

17. Chris Teriakis

Noway....... I use to trust people....... That's why I'm always asking straight questions. After that point I believe on what they're saying.
    Life is very simple..... we (the people) are making it complicated. But I'm happy that I belong to those few who're seeing all things as simple.

18. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    40 emails wow.. wonder what happen there

also @Big al surely you've heard of dropbox??
    It's a legit site

19. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Maybe so. Even legit sites can be infected.
    Before I click on any link I do a scan. The results were that the link was flagged by two organizations as viral.

They could be false positives but that is for dropbox to sort out with the AV organizations, Meanwhile I would not click on them without protection. Especially with any windows OS.

A Google search of reviews of Dropbox show mixed results, but there are those who are not happy with them along with what look like fake good reviews.

20. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Dropbox is an awesome app. Any site that allows user uploads is vulnerable to bad payloads being uploaded. I clicked on Brent's link without issue.