Using Indiegogo to fund forum

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Dillon Lawrence, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Dillon Lawrence

Dillon Lawrence Regular Member

I am creating an Android development forum, however will secure the funding using Indiegogo. I have put a lot of my own money into the project also. I am aware many current Android development-orientated forums exist. However, mine has the advantage of including lesser-known devices also as well as a section for developers to discuss their ROMs and create a page dedicated to their projects. XDA doesn't currently offer this. This means developers are not annoyed by questions for experienced members. I've also heard many are tired of the site.

Any ideas? ;)

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I wish you luck. I had an Andriod app forum and closed it down until I sold it. The devs that contributed to the site were a fickle bunch and often started arguments in the forums. I couldn't take it. It did make money for the time I had it open. I took 3% of all apps sold on the site.

3. Dillon Lawrence

Dillon Lawrence Regular Member

Thanks for the reply :)

Was it just targeting apps? Mine is more tailored towards tweaking/custom ROMs... I just need a way to attract members from the current leader (XDA). I do have unique features.

4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Apps, customs roms, ringtones and themes.

5. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Is your product a product? Because getting funding for just a forum will be difficult. You need to go after funding for something you can move into a market. If it is a certain custom ROM, made by yourself, then that is what you are getting funding for and not the forum. The forum would only be a tool you would use for your marketing.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Scott