url rewrite

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Rizzo, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

What mod have you used here to rewrite your url's, and does it work well?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

We use vBSEO, and yes it works well. It's a-ma-zing. It's a very useful and helpful product. A bit expensive, but it's worth it.

Moved to Forum Software.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Anyone know of a free version of something like that.

4. Tom

Tom Regular Member

No, I know of no free solutions, but you can probably post an advertisement on webmaster/administrator forums to see if any are willing to sell their product for a decent price.

5. kev

kev Regular Member

I am not using any modification to rewrite my forums URLs. And I see no real reason to do so.

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Although neither are supported, there is: TfSEO 2: the free vBulletin url rewrite - vBulletin.org Forum
    and
    Zoints SEO 2.3.2 - vBulletin.org Forum

Although vBSEO really is the best. It does so much more than just URL rewriting. And you can often find people reselling their license for a great deal. I paid only $80 for ours because somebody no longer wanted the license. They even renewed it immediately prior to transferring it, so I practically got a brand-new license for half the price. :)

7. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Nick, would you recommend doing so?

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using either of the two I mentioned, mainly because they aren't supported. And even if they were supported, I would be hesitant, because you never know when/if the creator is going to give up and disappear.

9. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

I am not making any money on the site yet, so just can't afford to put any more into it at the moment.

10. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I paid like $70 for my vBSEO license. I think it helps, but won't vB4.0 have SEO-friendly urls?

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, but not really anything else. I think we all know that vBSEO does so much more than URL re-writing; like canonicalization and such.

12. Cole

Cole Addict

First Name:
    Cole
    I would say vBSEO is the way to go if you want the most complete SEO solution. However, $150 dollars is quite steep for such a product--maybe too much.

I ended up beta testing vBSEO when it was first released, so I received a free license. So I do use it, and it has been awesome. :)

13. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

You could try to find a used vbseo license for less.

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, I don't think I would ever pay the full price for it. I almost always by second-hand licenses (except for core products like vBulletin itself).

15. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Hmm, I don't use vB, but for SMF, Pretty URLs is the way to go. Much better than any of the other alternatives out there.

I am looking for a good one for MyBB, though. I'm new to it, but I haven't found a really good one to use, and it seems that MyBB is somewhat limited in the plugins department.

16. drumming207

drumming207 Adept

In regard to the used licenses: is there anything to "look out" for in terms of buying one?

I'm sure people are trying to screw people somehow with fake licenses...where should I go to purchase a used license?

Thanks!

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

MyBB's default URLs are fairly search engine-friendly to begin with, but I can understand the desire to go further. I've never used it (as I don't use MyBB anymore) but this seems to be the way to go: MyBB SEO 1.0 Beta!

See this thread: http://www.adminaddict.net/forum/vbulletin/legal-used-licenses-1906/ :)

18. drumming207

drumming207 Adept