trouble with 301 redirect from /forum to root

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Soliloquy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I decided it was high time to get rid of Subdreamer and move The Chic Petite from the /forum subdirectory into root, and am having a devil of a time with the 301 redirect. I've tried a few different versions and none have worked, and most of the existing help pages are about redirecting static content. What should be in my .htaccess?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What are some of the ones you've tried? I can't come up with the appropriate one off of the top of my head, but once I see some, I might be able to tell 'ya.

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I ended up using the tool in CPanel... it didn't create or add to any of my .htaccess files, so I'm not sure what code it used except it does work.

I'm now regretting the move; that page never did get many clicks and it was ugly, but unfortunately it seemed to be good at directing people to the directory page which did get a lot of clicks. And the few clicks it did get were always pretty good ones, which I thought would continue once I moved the forum there. Wrong on both counts. I have had more sign-ups though. Now I'm wondering if I should put everything back where it was or wait it out.