Thread Rating Stars

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by FullMetalBabe, Aug 28, 2009.

1. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

So, as some of you know, me, Michelle and Dave[Yes, he's helping us!] have been working on the nutella forum. We're pretty much about done, skin wise, we'll be adding some content before we open.

Anyways!

My question is, what do you guys think we can use for the thread rating system?

I was actually thinking on making the nutella 'N' as our 'star' you know 'Nutellastic!' xD

But I'd like to see if people have more ideas about this. :D

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

How about starting with little dabs of Nutella, to bigger dabs of Nutella. Almost like using swirls for the rating, you know what I mean?

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

No, I don't get what you mean. Keep in mind the images are 16x16 =\

Also forgot to mention it will be on a dark bg.

4. Tom

Tom Regular Member

You know how you spread Nutella on the bread? You start small, and increase in size.

5. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Little jars of Nutella?

I'm not familiar enough with MyBB yet... can we do an empty jar that slowly fills as the user rises in rank?

Or if the images are named sequentially and added on to each other, start with the N, add u for the next level, t for the third, etc.?

I guess it boils down to, 1) how does MyBB display its rank images? and 2) What can we make it do?

6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I can make that for user rank, probably vextors

I can do that too.

The rank images are defines by images/star.gif basically, depends how much of the numerical value you put it's how much starts you will have.

Basically we can have

1 starting.png -registred
    1 middlejar.png- moderator
    1 full.png-Admin

to represent the jar *filling* up

=D I was actually talking about the thread rating starts in showthread ^__^

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Ohh, sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. The first three ideas that immediately come to mind are:
    1) little jars of Nutella (at this point I'd worry that we're overdoing it on the jars of Nutella, plus they won't be as easy to distinguish at that size)
    2) chocolate colored stars (a little pedestrian maybe?)
    3) sections of a chocolate bar with a bite mark on the end, full chocolate bar for top rated threads.

8. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Or, we could just do hazelnuts. That would balance things out with all the chocolate imagery.

9. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Yes, I like that one!

10. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Rating images should retain one size throughout the rating system no matter how many ratings a thread accumulates. However, if we are referring to the members user ranks based on postcount as it increases you could possibly design a an empty jar of nutella as a starting point where a member has very few posts and as it increased the jar filling up in small increments.

It would be a very simple process and even simpler to design this kind of member ranking system.

As for the rating system, small jars of nutella colourized for the rating and greyed out. Example, a thread get a rating of 2 then two of the jats would be colourized with the 3 other jars being greyed out and opacity possibly lowered.

11. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Hazelnuts it is!