The "I've been here this long and I deserve to be staff" member

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Superboy, Aug 23, 2012.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, each thread respectively. I wonder if we obtained any new links from those threads, but I haven't checked.:laugh:

2. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I have a whole forum for that lol...it gets really really intense in that forum since it's unmoderated ha

3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, those type of forums tend to be pretty brutal. lmao. Drama tends to settle down once the users are done venting. It happens all the time. We only get involved on the topic if its getting too personal - like users attacking one another.

4. Superboy

Yeah our rules are nothing racist, sexist, homophobic or against people's religions....and no threats of violence lol
    anythign else, go for it :D

5. Superboy

Yeah our rules are nothing racist, sexist, homophobic or against people's religions....and no threats of violence lol

6. Superboy

7. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Regular Member

I actually been seeing a lot of people join and ask to be staff. I reply friendly saying that staff members need to be active and have a specific amount of posts. The majority replies saying, I have posted "3 posts" already... within the 2 weeks they have been registered >_<

cpvr likes this.
  8. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

Been there! I've had a few (actually 'loyal') members who told me they why they weren't chosen as mods if they've been on my site for too long. Staying on a site doesn't mean you have the skills to be a mod. It's hard to tell them that because no one wants to lose an active member that has been on a forum for so long because you just don't want them to be on the staff.

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, that's just flat out ridiculous and they get denied quick. I'd rather hire someone that has made an effort to be active on the forum and has contributed to the forum in a few different ways. You have to work for a staff position on my community because we don't just hire anyone. We've had the same staff members now for about 2 years.

10. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

If one wants to become a staff he/she hasv to ask for it and there is a staff-vote. In addition quality of his/her posts is what counts.

Excuse my mistakes but Im dann tired. Good night everyone :-)

Big al and Superboy like this.
  11. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I think a staff vote is a fairer way than the owner deciding unilaterally.

pixelek likes this.
  12. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I have always let staff decide who to promote and when. I stay out of the process. Of course on newer forums I will promote the first 2 or 3 and then after that stay out of the process.

13. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

A community you lead is your baby. Would you let a poor baby sitter attend to your baby, when he or she had made 10 mistakes? I personally would have stopped, at most, at the third mistake, depending on the severity of the mistakes and said, "we need another babysitter." The fact you've given him 10 chances shows generosity, but also tells that person, there is also an 11th, 12th and 13th and even more chances within you. You might actually be partially responsible for the source of their determination. "Gee, he's bent so many times before, it must be in him to bend again."

You know me by now and I am for looking in the mirror first, before finding fault in others. And I would suggest, don't bend so often, when dealing with things close to your heart, which I can see from the long post, your community is important to you.

As for a solution now, I'd say you are going to have to make it crystal clear to him he's taken all the possible chances and ruined them and there are absolutely none left within you to find. He has to understand the other 9 chances were too much niceness and generosity from you. Once he sees that you see the 9 other chances as your own mistake, I bet he'll ease up.

Scott

cpvr likes this.
  14. Superboy

LOL He is working hard to get back in my good graces and make an improvement in himself as he wants to "Impress me"

as I told him today...you don;'t have to impress me. You merely need to do better for the site.

But yes I do live by the Democracy. I generally don't add anyone to the site that the staff AND members don't like.

15. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, see my staff members and I also have a voting process on who we allow to work for us, it works all the time. ;)

Big al and pixelek like this.
  16. DriveHosting

DriveHosting Regular Member

I just stay away from promotions maybe the first admin and that's it

17. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

Please forgive me but this is not very wise thing to do unless you fully trust in other admin good will......
    There is golden rule on the web: never trust anyone...and its true. You never know who is behind someone's nickname and how accurate the info he/she provides is...... If I were you Id think three times before making such a move.....

18. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

And that is exactly what is holding the Internet back from being a whole lot better than it is.;) I guess though, there is no such thing as Eutopia, not even virtually.

Scott

19. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

In my experience the best staff members usually do pick themselves, not because they ask to be staff, more because of their contribution to a board shows that they would make a good staff member.

AWS and pixelek like this.