The account setup reminder is VERY ANNOYING!

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Gregman, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Gregman

Gregman Regular Member

The account setup reminder is VERY ANNOYING! Is there anyway to turn it off?

Greg

Joeychgo and Brandon like this.
  2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yep, I agree. In fact I spent yesterday here finally filling in the information required just to get that box to vanish because it was so annoying keep seeing it and forces the forum listings to drop down because that long box (if you've not filled much of it in) gets displayed above them. But what I found silly, I had to create a introduction thread when I'm not a new member here and felt a little daft doing it to remove that box.

Anyway, not sure as I've not tried it. But try what Ragtek said, if you use Adblock Plus, block it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    Joeychgo likes this.
  3. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

If you are annoyed then that means that it is working :D Just fill in the info and it goes away

Brandon likes this.
  4. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yeah it did work, but I just entered anything in the boxes required. ;)

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    It takes 5 mins to fill everything out, actually you could have taken care of it in the same time it took you to make this thread. ;)

6. Liam W

Liam W The best of the best ;)

Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, United Kingdom
    First Name:
    Liam
    Wait, what are we talking about here?

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    They are talking about the profile completion mod.

8. Gregman

Gregman Regular Member

You shouldn't force people to fill out anything they don't want to fill out. It's a good way to loose member's.

Greg

Brandon likes this.
  9. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    No one was forced to do anything, thanks for your suggestion. ;)

10. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Actually, I think the plugin is there for bots. This way, the admin can see who's the real user, and who isn't.

11. GTB

GTB Regular Member

How do you work that out? Do you think everyone is going to fill all their profile details in because of that mod? That mod message can just as easy be removed by blocking it with Adblock Plus without you having to fill anything in. Or, just put up with the message displayed all the time. So it serves no purpose in spotting bots that register. I see you didn't fill it all in, because your "Occupation" is not displayed under your avatar on left, so does that make you a possible Bot?

What their should be for that mod, there should be an option to DISMISS the message if you don't want to fill all profile information in. Instead of always showing a NAGGING box asking you do it, which is also inconvenient because it bumps forum listings down. But there is no option to do that... maybe ask the mod creator to add that extra option?

Why use a mod like that here anyway? It won't help the site out, do more harm than good. Because it only makes the forum look as though the owner is trying to persuade members to fill in all their profile information for some reason? Otherwise, why use it?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    ENF likes this.
  12. ENF

ENF Regular Member

+1

I don't need/want to make an introduction thread. The other stuff, I didn't mind so much. But, a dismiss option would be optimal.

Brandon likes this.
  13. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Hey, hey, hey... Don't use me as your example in this situation! :unsure: I'm saying bots don't really pay attention to notices, and were warned to look like a normal person.
    I thought that was a bit bothersome. :( I agree.
    Once again: It's to determine who's a real user, and who's not.

14. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I think it is a great mod to be honest. Specially, if you utilized it with a couple marketing ideas. Though, I am the money guy. But, you could make people buy a subscription instead of filling everything out to have it go away. I believe Shawn has something similar on Digital Point . You have to meet so many requirements to use his marketplace or you must just buy a subscription.

Plus, it also promotes activity and tries to make the site more of a community place. There are many uses for it, I have no idea why people would find it that bothersome really, specially when it would take less time to fill it out than making posts in this thread LOL

Brandon likes this.
  15. GTB

GTB Regular Member

You don't know why it bothers people, yet you have avoided filling them all in yourself. You only have to look at what fields are listed under your avatar to know that. If you're going to say something like that, then at least show you've filled them all in, otherwise it only makes you look a hypocrite saying it. lol

I'll look forward to seeing you filling them all in, based on your quote. :laugh:

16. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

You do realize you're communicating with a moderator, right?

17. GTB

GTB Regular Member

And, what about it? Do you think just because he's a mod I shouldn't give a answer back? If a mod on a forum can't take a bit of criticism back, then they shouldn't be a mod on any forum. Two times now in this thread he's said it's biggie filling it in (2 times). But not done himself.

18. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Some people like to watch the world burn. ;)

boatswife likes this.
  19. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Some like to talk a load of shite. But I was being polite before in not saying that. :rolleyes:

20. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Honestly, if AdminTalk was my site, and you talked to me that way, you would be gone today. So, advice: Tone your attitude down, you're lucky @Cerberus is a nice guy.