Starting a Blog info

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by 50calray, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    My sister's kid is really into anime and wants to be a writer in the future. So I'm thinging about starting her a blog. I've never dealt with a blog and need start up info. Software is one thing I know little about for example.

Thanks for everything.

2. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Wordpress is the best blogging software out there. No questions.

You can self host it, or set her up on wordpress.com

2 people like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Definitely WordPress. No doubt. ;)

4. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I'll second Wordpress. Download the self hosted version from WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform

WordPress.com — Get a Free Blog Here is also a great idea and you won't have to bother with maintaining the install. The only drawbacks are you cannot customize the theme or add plugins but they're plenty of themes available choose from. Thinking about it how many plugins is a newbie blogger likely to need? I'm pretty sure you can pay a small fee to customize the CSS on a WP.com blog.

Now-a-days self hosted WP has made upgrades so point and click simple that it's not a big deal anymore. No more FTPing files and manually running an upgrade scripts.

There is always Blogger which is run by Google and is really dead simple and easy to use. You have same restrictions as any commercially hosted blog, lack of customization. If you plan on buying her a domain Blogger can publish the blog on the domain via FTP once setup it's super easy.

Best of luck and post back with any ?s. :)

2 people like this.
  5. kev

kev Regular Member

wordpress - there is a slight learning curve, like learning the difference between a post and a page.

But after that, its all good to go.

6. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Thanks people,

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    My vote goes to wordpress as well :)

8. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

You are as up to speed as anyone, if you had a side project such as this, would you want to host it (and potentially eat up your time if the blogger kept wanting changes) or go to wp.com?

9. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    Host it yourself. The time it takes to maintain it is about 30 seconds every now and then. And you don't need to be a techy to do it. It's a bunch "click here to update this". And you get so much more control.

To the OP
    Sorry I was brief.
    The install instructions (if needed) are so simple..

1) Download and unzip
    2) Rename wp-config-sample.php to wp-config.php
    3) Details: (two options: one is edit the file with your details, or two it might let you do it online) db location, db name, db username, db password, prefix, and secret keys (generate at their online tool).
    4) Visit site, enter name, email, check the chekbox.
    5) Done.

Its a great platform, I used it to build a whole website. PKs Galleria

10. AlexPablte

AlexPablte Guest

For software you can use Wordpress there are thousands of themes and plug-ins to choose from.

The main thing is writing skills and ideas for this you can participate in forums and learn as well.

11. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon

I would always suggest hosting it yourself.
    You can get hosting for 3$ and installing/maintaining wordpress is very user friendly, and you'll have full control of the site.
    Most hosted sites (like wp.com) will charge for some of the plugins, so you would likely spend that $3 a month on an essential plugin anyways.