So who do you host with?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Nick, May 19, 2009.

1. Imperial

Imperial Adept

As you posted earlier, you also have money! :P

I'd love to have all my sites running on a dedicated server, but sadly they are small and don't bring in nearly enough money to cover monthly expenses of dedicated hosting. While I love my forums deeply, I don't want them to be a black hole where money disappears into.

2. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

If you know server management, you can divide your dedicated server into 5 or 6 VPS shards and then rent out the extras while running your small sites in one shard. You can easily make the money to cover the entire server on 4-5 shards.

If you don't know server management that much and have something like WHM installed than you sell 30 shared hosting slots at $10.00 a month to cover the cost of your server. Considering the average shared hosting server has 300-400 slots on it, you're giving them better service at the same price.

3. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

This is a topic that I have to read up on for sure. I've been hosting with MediaLayer and they have been great with support, but they are short on options when it comes to hosting needs. It's a shared deal.

I'm spending about $50 per month and have enough room for my sites. But, as I continue to expand, I don't want to keep upgrading my disk space as I have done a couple of times already.

So, I need to find a solution for my sites and that could run about the same $50 (or slightly more), but with less strictness of hard disk or bandwidth issues.

4. Wayne Luke

How much space do you need? At Hostgator, you can get a reseller package with 60 GB of storage and 500 GB of bandwidth for about $50.00. Others have VPS solutions around that price as well.

5. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    This, Wayne, sounds like something to consider. Of course, if one is willing and capable of taking the plunge in getting the dedicated server in the first place.

6. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Wayne pretty much covered one thing you could do. :) I make money in various ways. :D I could share, but then it won't be a secret, haha.

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'm using HostGator at the moment, but I hear they're no good for large heavily-trafficked sites. They drop you like a hot potato if you use too much of the server's resources.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I was with HostGator for a very short period of time and then left - I had/have nothing against them or their service, but I felt like I needed something more "flexible". There is also something about their "look" that turns me off...

2 people like this.
  9. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

I have two packages - a VPS for my cleaner stuff and Elliquiy and co run on a dedicated server. I will be getting another dedicated server to replace the VPS soon, and possibly a third dedicated server to devote more resources to Elliquiy proper as it grows.

10. gamer_boy

gamer_boy Newcomer

Now im using for my new site is Hosting Layer .

nice offer and awesome host!

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Just got off the phone with them.

They support SFTP, but not FTPS (whatever that is).

12. Randy

Randy Adept

First Name:
    Randy
    I host with myself I have my dedicated hybrid from wiredtree, highly recommended.

13. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I can second this. WiredTree is phenomenal.

2 people like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yes, WiredTree is phenomenal.

For those of you who are enjoying our increased speeds (as a result of the server transition), take note that we are being hosted by WiredTree. :)

15. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I think HostGator is a good beginner's host. I've had my own HostGator package for about a year now, but while I have nothing bad to say about them, I think it's time to move on. Another VPS from WiredTree (AdminAddict's host) is probably next on my list. They're phenomenal. :p

16. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

I've had our site at Quickpacket since the very beginning. We started out with a small package, but every month we got bigger and bigger and at month 5 they finally moved us to our own server. A couple of years later, we had to split the site to two servers.

It's been a very interesting experience. We needed to go cheap (my site runs off donations), so I've always gotten unmanaged servers. It's forced me to learn more about servers than I've ever wanted to know, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. When our domains got stolen, the thing that stopped those guys from also getting our servers was that when they put in a support ticket to get the root password changed, the guys at Quickpacket could tell that wasn't me making the request. They know the way I write and this guy was obviously not me! (Spelling errors, demanding, not polite at all...)

17. Wayne Luke

I've about outgrown my package with Hostgator. No issues with them but don't want to move to an unmanaged dedicated server. Right now its between Wiredtree and ServInt. I am leaning towards ServInt though because they have an ongoing Green Computing program and offer more RAM per package. I will say the only reason I am looking at Wired Tree is because of the comments on this site.

My personal sites are small and not really looking to spend more than $50.00 a month at this time. WiredTree's offered resources at that price point are very small. Though I am mainly looking at RAM since that is the most precious one when it comes to keeping a site online.

18. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    If there's anything you want to know about WiredTree, Chris is the person to ask. :) So far, they've been absolutely phenomenal for AA. We are fully managed and they've answered every support ticket within 15 minutes, even at 3-4 AM eastern (24/7 support).

19. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Wayne, looking into ServInt, they have the best bang for your buck when considering RAM. The $59/month WiredTree package doesn't even have as much ram as the $49/month ServInt Essential VPS package.
    Everything else is considerably comparable though.

Here, somebody uses both ServInt and WiredTree and they don't have anything to say about one being better than another.

20. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Good information.

I've been looking at this place for a couple of misc projects
    https://www.arvixe.com/