Site e-mail into Junk folder?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Nick, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do e-mails from your domain land in recipients' "Junk" or "Spam" folder? It seems totally random, because some people who just bought a brand new domain find that their e-mails land in spam folders.

Luckily, I haven't had this problem. But what would I do if all of a sudden, e-mails from my domain went into spam folders? Is there any way to appeal to the providers that mark it as spam (like Gmail, Yahoo!, etc.)?

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

That hasn't happened to email from my forum that I know of... unless the members haven't mentioned it.

3. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

vBulletin emails are notorious for being caught in spam/junk/bulk folders. That's why I don't even use the member email confirmation, haven't used it for a good long time.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

How is it limited to vBulletin-generated e-mails? I would have thought that it's based on the domain it's coming from. If it's based on the contents of the e-mail, then why are some filtered, and some not?

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

The most common cause of email going into Junk Folders is they are being sent by an account that doesn't exist on the domain. If you're going to send email from [email protected] then [email protected] better be a valid email address. Mail filters will actually check the servers and make sure the email address is valid before they mark it safe.

2 people like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip, Wayne!

7. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Not saying it's always vB, Nick. But this has been my experience -

I have my domain email addresses set up to come to my pop3 account (Outlook Express). I can read them and answer them from Outlook, using the domain email address, which is [email protected]

However, anytime that I send an email from the email feature in the vB cPanel, most of them end up in email junk folders.

Go Figure...

8. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'd heard that AOL in particular blocked email generated by phpBB forums. I always used to have to approve those members manually before I switched to vB.