Setting up a limited company for revenue?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by CelarD, Nov 10, 2013.

1. CelarD

CelarD Regular Member

I am considering setting up a "limited company" to help with my online endeavors. This would be in the UK, and it apparently only costs £15, and they accept paypal!

My reason for this is that I got banned from adsense back in 2007 - not my fault, but I'm not going to whine about it. That water passed under the bridge long ago. As I understand it, an adsense ban is a ban for life and there is nothing you can do about it. It completely killed my desire to do any webdev to be honest, I had over $100 in that account when they nixed it, at the time it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I'd now like to explore new avenues, and of course revenue would be most helpful, and adsense does seem to be the way to do this most efficiently.

I wonder if anybody else has been faced with a similar situation, and invite comments on whether this is workable? £15 in my paypal to register a company is peanuts really, and I don't think Google could complain either.

Big al likes this.
  2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Anyone can set-up a limited company easy. But because it is limited, done to protect yourself better. Means other people might not prefer to deal with a person running a limited type company. As it suits the seller, rather than the buyer more.

3. Big al

Big al Regular Member

My understanding ( Australian law) is that a PTY company is classed as a separate identity. so adsense will actually not directly be dealing with you. But with a separate legal identity.

I am sure you can easily check this in the UK by using Google to search on the definitions.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Regular Member

I think that the best source you can look at to see if it's worth start your limited company is visiting the GOV.UK site where is posted a complete guide on how set up a private limited company here, https://www.gov.uk/limited-company-formation

Big al likes this.
  5. LeadFoot

LeadFoot Regular Member

In the US we create llc (limited liability company). We then use that company to apply with google.

This is all above board. After all if Guinness beer had an adsense account it would be a corporate account, not in the name of a specific employee.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

You should be aware that a limited company has annual, statutory requirements in terms of accounts and tax returns that will cost you far more than £15 per year to prepare. That's assuming you haven't got the necessary expertise to prepare them yourself which most people don't.

For example, my limited company cost me in excess of £2,250 in accountancy fees last year.

7. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

If all you want to do is get an Adsense account, then try doing it. If you get into any issues, contact Google and straighten it out. You certainly can use Adsense as a private person and you really shouldn't start an LLC (or any other type of company for that matter), just to get paid by Adsense. That would be extremely absurd.

Now, if you want to offer a product of service yourself for money, then you might want to think about starting a company. But start as a sole-proprietorship or sole-trader first, as this is much easier from an accounting and cost point of view.

http://startups.co.uk/registering-as-a-sole-trader/

Scott