Semi-Dedicated Servers

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Michael, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

If you were using a VPS and the load and usage was becoming really high, would you jump right into a dedicated server or go for a semi-dedicated?

I have only seen one hosting company do these semi-dedicateds, im not sure if anyone else does them. Would the jump be better to a semi or a fully?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

It'd be wiser to make the transition over to a dedicated machine. You'd be saving yourself the hassle of upgrading multiple times (VPS > Semi-Dedicated > Dedicated). Go for the big guns and skip the unnecessary (smaller) steps. :)

Haven't really heard great things regarding these "semi-dedicated" plans, to be honest. You should also note that many providers refer to these plans as virtual private servers, or VPS'. There are only a few out there that actually provide a "semi-dedicated" service that is somewhat different in comparison.

3. kev

kev Regular Member

I went straight from a VPS to a dedicated.

I have heard of semi-dedicated servers, but aren't they the same thing as a VPS? Rarely do I even see a hosting company offer a "semi-dedicated." Its either shared hosting, VPS or dedicated server. That is about all I see.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

You're right. Very few providers do offer such a form of hosting.

There are a few web hosting providers who offer "semi-dedicated" hosting as a form of shared hosting. They simply restrict the number of accounts that can be hosted on a single server (usually very few - 15 or less) and in turn, are able to delegate more resources to each individual account. Because the load on the server will technically be less (or can be), this is usually a more viable option for semi-resource intensive websites. It's a rather interesting technique, and it's not very popularly known (nor efficient).

There are also those who refer to VPS hosting as "semi-dedicated". This is a more common practice.

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Since Semi-dedicated servers are not virtualized, you would be losing control over your setup compared to a VPS or Dedicated. Not a good thing.

6. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

A semi-ded is just a shared server, nothing more. If you're on a VPS, you're going to step down to a semi-ded. Go straight for the dedicated server.

7. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Hostgator offers a semi-dedicated server configured to accomodate forums. I don't know at what size they want you to do to dedicated. But it's much more friendly to db size and transmission rate as of an upgrade they did in fall 2008.

8. kev

kev Regular Member

If the question is what hosting plans should you use, dont mess with a "semi-dedicated", just go from a VPS to a dedicated server.

I wish I would have moved to a dedicated a long time ago. My members and I would have been much happier in the long run. Instead, I tried to squeeze everything out of the VPS that I could. As load times increased, members started going to other forums.

The VPS that I used right before the dedicated had 1 gig of memory. From there I went to a server that had a dual core and 4 gigs of ramm. There was a BIG difference.

My suggestions is - dont mess with a semi-dedicated, your just wasting time.