[REVIEW] XenForo Forum Software

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by Scar3croW, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Scar3croW

Scar3croW Regular Member

acl.ly_5v2b_Screen_shot_2011_04_11_at_3.55.34_PM.png

Xenforo forum software just recently became golden, but it has proven itself worthy of becoming one of the best you can buy. The reason for its similarity with vBulletin is that the head developers of XenForo used to work for vBulletin.

Features

Structure

The one thing that stuck out to me the most is that XenForo uses html5. They use it for their doctype and for the breadcrumbs. The html5 breadcrumbs help out in google searches. You can see the breadcrumbs in the search instead of just the link.

acl.ly_5uYC_Screen_shot_2011_04_11_at_4.25.52_PM.png

Integration

Facebook integration in XenForo is the best I have seen in any forum software. When you click connect with facebook, it pulls your basic information and even your profile pic. It creates and customizes your forum profile for you. When you exit the site and go back if you were on facebook before it will auto log you in. This is an excellent feature that results in more people joining the discussion.

acl.ly_5uQR_Screen_shot_2011_04_11_at_4.27.01_PM.png

Reward System

The reward system they use is trophies. It is similar to an achievement that you would get on Xbox Live. When you complete a set task you are awarded one. I like this feature however I don't know if users would prefer this system over reputation. Maybe if they create a way to showoff these trophies more I don't see the benefit over reputation.

ai607.photobucket.com_albums_tt153_serviesiscool_Screenshot2011_04_11at42827PM.png

Customization

Customizing XenForo is really easy. The style changer allows you to slide a bar and instantly change the color of certain css elements. This is hands down one of the easiest ways to quickly change the look of your site. Addons are easily installed you just upload and install the xml. I like how they are managed.

ai607.photobucket.com_albums_tt153_serviesiscool_Screenshot2011_04_11at43204PM.png

Notifications

The alert system is almost exactly like the facebook alert system. A red popup appears on your screen when someone replies to your thread or messages you. I like this feature a lot and I think it is one of the best implementations of it.

ai607.photobucket.com_albums_tt153_serviesiscool_Screenshot2011_04_11at43616PM.png

Admin CP

The admin cp is normal but does not stand out. It does not have a global search feature like IPB but it gets the job done. It has a nice login animation and it is easy to use. The permission system is very confusing. It has an inherit, allow, and never categories than can get confusing if you are inexperienced.

ai607.photobucket.com_albums_tt153_serviesiscool_Screenshot2011_04_11at43740PM.png

SCORE: 8/10

Scar3croW editor/creator html5pioneer

http://html5pioneer.com/threads/review-xenforo-forum-software.41/

Mr Joker likes this.
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

3. Scar3croW

Scar3croW Regular Member

I fixed it for you.

Kaiser likes this.
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I must admit you did a great job on this. keep it up. You are doing great so far :)

5. Clash

Clash Regular Member

This review is great. I find the software awesome. This is the first forum I've seen that was using it.

Kaiser likes this.
  6. Trealix

Trealix Gamer

great review, nice :)

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well you will se more, xenforo is actually quite big.

8. Clash

Clash Regular Member

Yes, I hope to see more boards use Xenforo.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

There are alot out there, eventually you will run into them.