Promoting Your Forum

Discussion in 'Member Articles & Tutorials' started by Nick, May 15, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Sometimes people look too hard to get ideas on ways to promote their forums or websites.
    Some of the most effective ways to promote sites are right under our nose, yet we continue to look beyond them.
    The main goals when promoting a website, are:

• Capture somebody’s attention
    • Present what you have to offer
    • Get them to remember your site
    • Get them to visit your site
    All of that can be accomplished when advertising your forum, whether it is by word of mouth, on paper, or on the computer screen.

I, myself have engaged in the following promotional techniques, and while some are more effective than others, they have all benefited in some way.
    For the examples, I am going to be referring to a no-longer-existent pet forum that I used to operate.

One of the most effective ways to promote is by word of mouth, or in person. I printed myself a ton of fliers that have my site URL at the top (in a fancy, WordArt kind-of-way), with a short paragraph, and a list of key points as to why readers should visit the forum. I always carry the fliers around and give one to everybody I see that is walking their dog, shopping in a pet store, or doing anything related to pets. I often go to Pet Expos so I have a wide audience there. People always give the positive feedback: “Oh wow! I will be sure to check it out!”

Another way is to stand out on the internet, and then present your forum. For example, if you visit other forums that are similar to your topic and you participate in many discussions to demonstrate extensive knowledge, then people would be interested in checking out your site. I like to do this on ‘Yahoo! Answers’. I always head straight towards the pet section, answer as many questions as possible and include a link to my forum in the “sources” box. But don’t answer questions just to show your link; be sure you are actually answering the question in full and have written a quality response.

Another idea is sell and use some promotional products. Create a CafePress online store, and imprint your logo on the items. Buy some of the items (like t-shirts, tote bags, etc.) and give them to your family and friends as gifts. Now you’ve got walking advertisements! Be sure to give them a few fliers to keep with them for when they wear the promotional items out in public.

Another wonderful idea is to write articles related to your topic and submit them to Ezine and similar sites. Include your forum link at the end of the article. If you write many articles, at least one of them is bound to be read by a potential forum member. When someone sees your link, they are going to go straight for it, provided they are pleased with your article.

And finally, another very effective way is to visit large stores related to your topic. For me, that would be PetSmart, Petco, etc. Bring a couple hundred of your fliers, and ask if they will place a stack on each check-out register. This way, when people are leaving, they will see your flier and be interested.
    You could also just post fliers in general areas, like the community pool, etc.

And then you can focus on Google AdWords, and other online advertising.

I hope these tips can help you, and I wish you all good luck with your sites.

This post has been promoted to an article

2. Suganindia

Suganindia Guest

As an admin you do these promotional deeds… What do your moderators do ?

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hi Suganindia!

Well when the forum is new, it would mostly be the administrator’s duty to promote. But once you actually have moderators, there is no reason they can’t help out too.
    You can never have too many people promoting, so it isn’t exactly the best idea to delegate the role of advertising and promoting to just one person.

4. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

You mentioned word of mouth … My forums are very topic-focused. The hobby site in particular gets most members as referrals from existing members. Many people in the hobby know each other and pass on a lead to the site.

I have a gallery/album attached to the forum. Paid members have considerable album space, and everyone including unregistered guests can see the photos. The members use links to the photos for off-forum hobby buying and selling. That leads new members to the forum.

There is also a Sales sub-forum. Everyone can read it, including unregistered guests. Only paid members can post in it. This forum has also led new members to the forum.

5. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Everyone needs to help in one way or another although members are not a reliable source of promotion. Forum promotion when you are not indexed has to be one of the most time consuming jobs for any forum owner, it is harder than setting up and everything else I have done to date.

6. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    From My Point Of Veiw, The Sites I Usually Go With, Are The Gaming And General Forum
    Sites. Out There, There Are More Gaming Sites I Have Seen. They Usually Promote By
    Affiliating With The Other Sites Connected To Gaming. Well I Only Affiliate With Friends
    Sites, No Others. But I Choose Things That I See What "Memebers" Want.

7. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    These little affiliate/link exchanges of forums of the same niche can be quite effective at times, since both forums have a member base interested in the same thing.

8. MomCafe

MomCafe Adept

First Name:
    Sonya
    I think my issue is the fact that my forum type is a dime a dozen. There is hundreds if not thousands of Mom Forums, and I would like to know if there is anything in particular you suggest as a brand new forum starting out and trying to gain the momentum as well as the members.

9. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    This is a little off subject but how do you reply to a Yahoo question? I have an account but can find an answer/reply box?

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

One thing that's been working for me is giving my members personalized buttons with the forum logo and their username; they wear them to conventions and not only meet up with their fellow forum members but end up advertising it as well.