Problem: DEAD Forums!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Okenyon, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Okenyon

Okenyon Champion

Ok so i need some help/advice

My forum on a whole is going great tbh very good

Manly Stuff - Women - Beer - Sport - Adult Content and much more.

however i have an issue with unused forums

the download section and general sections are going great

but i need away to entice people to start new threads etc in the other forums like cars, and betting!

any suggestions?

i thought about making it so that you need to have like 10 posts to reply to see the downloads?

but then i don't know if people would even register?

HELP!

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Maybe do some form of betting on your forum, like whatever horse wins the race and if you picked it you get somethign in return, maybe a VIP status.

I would regularly post up and coming races in the betting forum :)

3. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

People just want your ripped illegal content...they don't care about your site....

4. Okenyon

Okenyon Champion

^great help!

5. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

It is the truth?

Hide the illegal content...or maybe not offer it...since ya know it's illegal? And offer it to maybe to VIP's or seasoned people after so many posts...

It's really not a hard concept to grasp dood...you offer stuff that is illegal...they are only looking for that, or the major amount of the people that join. You dangle that in front of them and they don't have to do anything for it why should they post in other areas?

Good luck not getting in trouble offering that stuff too...ripped movies and stuff isn't a good road to travel down...

4 people like this.
  6. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

This is a common occurrence with any forum that offers downloadable content to registered members only, since a lot of people will join just go straight to the free stuff. I would probably recommend these two things:

1. Maybe make the downloads section require a certain amount of posts in other sections if people want to access it, preferrably the sections of your forum that are least active. That might help them get activity, and even when they find the free content, they might still have grown to like the other sections.

2. You post lots of interesting content in those forums. Many people probably won't post in them, it's the nature of any forum offering absolutely anything for download, legal, free or otherwise. But people who are dedicated to your community might find something interesting there (aka your regular members), and they'll probably get some posting going in those forums.

7. Okenyon

Okenyon Champion

i have now made it so you need 5+ posts to view download section

see if that works!

8. cheat-master30

That might help. Maybe however set it to require the posts in the less active forums, otherwise everyone will just flock to the most active part of the community.

9. Okenyon

Okenyon Champion

^how would i do that tho?

wna affiliate btw?

10. cheat-master30

Maybe I'll add you to affiliates, your forum seems active enough that it would benefit both sites. Oh, and what I mean is... basically, they need to post in your forums for things like cars, games, TV, betting, etc to access your downloads forum. However, don't know how that would work, maybe a mod? If a modification doesn't exist, just manually approve people into the usergroup with downloads forum access based on them having posted in the forums you want boosted activity wise.

11. torque

torque Regular Member

I haven't looked at your site for a while I was wondering if you had vbookie on maybe post a couple things up for people to bet on and chat about etc.