PMs, What The Heck?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by OneUpDave, Oct 17, 2009.

1. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

I know the economy is tight right now, but geez, do you really feel the need to limit us to 50 PMs? I mean, I know forums with thousands of users on shared hosting that have limits of at least 100, if not, more.

Do us a favor and please up the limit. Ok, Thanks, Buh-Bye.

2 people like this.
  2. Ben

Ben Regular Member

3. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Yeah, I can read, moron. 500 PMs. But there's really no reason that normal users can't have 100. Makes this place look like it's desperate for money.

Just like that ugly-looking ad that's been up there for sixty years. I'm sure they probably got paid lots of good money to put it up there.

2 people like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hm, it's honestly the first complaint we've had about this. It shouldn't matter, because we're deleting all PMs shortly anyways.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

This was uncalled for.

First of all, it wasn't "lots of good money". It was actually a steal, and I'm sure you would have been all over the deal if you were interested in advertising.

Secondly, how do you expect our expenses to be paid? Would you rather see pop-ups, inline text ads, PPC ads, and all kinds of other junk everywhere? Or don't you think a single "ugly banner" is much easier to deal with?

6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Actually, it's not really the first time I've heard this.

I get frustrated that I receive a lot of important messages, specially those with requests, but because I discuss a lot with the person requesting, I have to delete PM's. It gets annoying and the amount is pretty supercilious.

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I've increased the limit to 75. Don't forget, there is a PM download/backup feature for users - it's there for a reason. ;)

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Actually, I thought I had it set to 250 in the past. I'm not sure if somebody changed it, or if it never was set that high.

Does anybody remember?

9. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Hm, 50 sounded a little odd to me. I don't remember exactly if it was 250, but I definitely thought we had it at least 100 or higher.

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, because normally I set it to a very generous amount. 50 is just too few. On my other forums, I usually set it to 1,000+ for regular members.

It annoys me when I'm a member on other forums and it's a mere 50 PM storage space.

11. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Same and agreed. So I'm not sure what happened that ours went to 50.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I've upped it to 150.

13. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Thanks. Sorry for sounding so pissed earlier.

14. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Just some advice nick and this is not a complaint. Some people rely on their pms as much as their posts. If at one stage you start deleting pms they will loose faith in using your pm system to conduct private messages. I myself have 2 pms which I have backed up. But would have liked to keep them active.

Either way I find the site a nice place but I have a few questions.

what date are the pms being deleted?
    And if your a premium member are your pms still going to be pruned?

15. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    Just a quick note to say thanks very much for the extra PM space!

16. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

Wow, what a bunch of whining in here. You'd think we were children or something, not grown adults.

50 pms is fine. I doubt I've ever had more than 50 pms on a forum. Why should someone need more? Hey, if a conversation is going to take more than a PM or two, take it to email!!!

I see the arguments for lower space, this isn't run on 'thanks', forums like this take a lot of time, energy and money to run, and forum users are a thankless bunch when it comes to that.

Personally, I say drop it back down to 50, and if they want more, let them pay (ie: premium membership) for it!

17. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Just because people don't contact you it doesn't mean others are the same. Some others do get a lot of PM's a day, hell me and another user here send so much PM's, we're already here, why the hell should we move the convo else were? I don't give out my e-mails for a reason.

18. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

So, clean them out, or upgrade to a membership which allows more.
    Problem solved

19. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Hmm, I'm tight money wise, since we're saving every penny to go to our own sites, so upgrading is a no. I've learned that even 3 dollars make a huge difference.

^_^ Can't really clean them out since they contain important info of people who want their designs~ I'd like to go back and read it.

The problem was solved now, no need for you to whine of something that has been solved, ne?

20. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Just a question to understand this issue a little better. Are all of the PMs from the same group of people? For instance are the PMs a result of a "private conversation" going back and forth like instant messager? If so, perhaps the best way to handle the situation is to use the social groups? (just wondering if we actually found a use for them.) ;)

HTH,
    RR