phpBB 3.1.0 RC1 released

Discussion in 'phpBB Discussions' started by GTB, Jun 25, 2014.

1. GTB

GTB Regular Member

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Are you running it? I have looked at it on the area 51 site and wasn't impressed.

3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yeah, I installed it earlier as a full package. I'm running RC1 now. When I upgrade, I do it as a full upgrade removing all forum files first and upload all fresh ones and then re-upload extra smilies, icons, avatars, keep config.php etc - and run the upgrade script. Then once upgraded re-apply my style changes.

That's why it take me an hour or so to upgrade each time.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Think they need to revamp the ProSilver style to look better, which there is a thread (well a couple of them) on Area 51 talking about it, and do think plans are in place to do something about the default style later on before going gold. Now it's in RC stage, "I think" they're planning to still add extra features right through to gold release. That's the impression I get reading Area 51 pretty regular.

There's been a few new features added in this release, social networking displayed as contact images is one of them.

Snap1.png

New "Contact Us section added in admin panel - link is in forum footer (sure it wasn't their before running Beta 4).

Snap2.png

There are no "hardcoded profile fields now" that cannot be removed, any can switched on or off, even deleted (including stock ones) Unlike with phpBB 3.0.x version. You can see I have disabled ones like ICQ, AOL e.t.c - that used to be hardcoded in phpBB, you can choose which ones get displayed on member list page, before some was hardcoded on it.

Snap3.png

Page navigation look (styling) has been changed

Snap4.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  5. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Regular Member

GTB do you have a link to the website that you are running it on?

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

As far as mods go, as I often read people complaining about mods being hard to install with phpBB.

3.1 is totally different because a mod folder is now uploaded to the "EXT" directory and templates have HOOKS in them (like vB3) that mods use to display things in forum areas, and a lot more hooks got added in templates with this RC1 version. Mod are now one click install (pretty much) and get uploaded (as a mod folder) to EXT directory. A lot has changed regarding how mods get installed with phpBB 3.1 compared to 3.0.x.

Most posting buttons in 3.1 are not images used any more, but CSS buttons.

My link: http://community-forums.co.uk/

7. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Regular Member

Anyone making any skins for 3.1 yet? I would love to see what it looks like with a good skin on it. Some of the phpBB skins that I have seen over the years are very impressive.

Greg

8. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Not sure, but bit early yet to be seeing any themes due to changes still happening until gold release. Haven't even looked because I've changed the default style and been working on that instead.

Soulwatcher likes this.
  9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    The admin looks much better than what it used to be. Things are looking good for phpBB that's for sure.

10. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

Some very nice improvements here for phpBB. Wanting to see how much more this improves before the gold release but it is getting to a point where this is becoming my new favorite free software.

11. Jack Rouse

Jack Rouse Regular Member

They should have revamped the default theme before even going RC with it, the prosilver style makes it look exactly the same as the last X number of upgrades, changing the default would have made people take notice, it may also have been a good idea to offer a couple of free themes too, just to get people working with it.
    Also if you are going to the bother of using CSS why not alter the style of the buttons, that hasn't changed all that much from phpBB2 !

12. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Agree it would have been nice to see a completely new theme used with phpBB 3.1. But it's not something you're likely to see happen I think, there's been talk about revamping ProSilver to look better, which I don't think it's a bad theme, better than SMF or MYBB default theme and there's scope to easy improve on it with better post icons and other changes made. But saying that... read "Arty" post on his own forum once phpBB 3.1 goes gold he'll be creating themes for it and is on the phpBB style staff team anyway. Hard to say at the minute what;s going to happen with default ProSilver theme before phpBB 3.1 goes gold, nothing for certain has been said yet, just a lot of talk about it.

My own view, think there's little point including other themes as stock because most people only end up using a custom theme anyway.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  13. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

It now has some better javascript effects but it still feels like my old webwiz forum 10 years ago.

14. GTB

GTB Regular Member

That's a new one on me, never heard of that forum before: Web Wiz.

15. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

16. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Yeah, I noticed looking at the feature list of it, seems pretty powerful and feature packed.

17. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

Moving from webwiz to vbulletin 3 was one of the best decisions ever for my site. At least back in 2005.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Getting back to phpBB 3.1 again. There is something that concerns me somewhat. Because I'm using it since early Beta stage, means I've been browsing the the Area 51 and main phpBB forum pretty regular. What I've picked up on since doing it, is the lack of activity from members talking about phpBB 3.1. There's only 84 thread posted about it on the main forum covering it to date since first released, Area 51 forum is very slow with discussion happening about it. It's a shame to see that with the DEVS putting so much work into 3.1 now, but there does seem to be lack of activity on phpBB coming from members, but have also noticed MyBB forums are very quiet these days as well.