PHP 5.3.29 released - security fixes backported

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by LowWaterMark, Aug 18, 2014.

1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator Admin Talk Staff

First Name:
    Mike
    According to the development team, the "last ever" update to the PHP 5.3 series was published a few days ago. They said this about that:

PHP 5.3.29 contains about 25 potentially security related fixes backported from PHP 5.4 and 5.5.

See the 5.3.29 announcement, which is at the time of this posting the top item at: http://php.net/

A lot of hosting packages still come with PHP 5.3 installed. And, many people running some older software packages, such as vBulletin 3.8 series, still run on PHP 5.3, as well.

If you are staying with PHP 5.3 for whatever reason, then this update is worth doing for security and stability reasons. I've tested it with typical integrations of xcache, memcache and the last eAccelerator release, and nothing unexpected came up. eAccelerator did need to be recompiled though as it's built against the installed PHP when you compile the source.

Related poll: http://www.admin-talk.com/threads/php-version.50839/

eva2000, Tech Admin and BamaStangGuy like this.
  2. Tech Admin

Tech Admin Administrator Admin Talk Staff

I am surprised they pushed out an update. It must have been something bad. I also am surprised anyone uses 5.3 anymore.

3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Only have one server running it. vBulletin 4.1.0 site.

4. GTB

GTB Regular Member

My shared host is currently running 5.3.28