Other sites are talking about your site, do you want to know?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Abomination, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

• You run site1
    • On site2 there are people talking about site1
    • In fact they are discussing site1 in great detail and it is quite derogatory
    • They are discussing on site2 that they joined up at site1 and started trolling, then report back the results of the trolling. Of course the are laughing about it and using many derogatory terms and there is no swear filter.

If you owned site1 would you want to know what is happening on site2 where people are openly admitting they are signing up on your site and purposely trolling?

Do you think a report post would be appropriate with a link to the site2 discussion?

For the record this is happening on site1 & site2 right now. I'm a member of site1 and noticed a thread on site2, but it could easily apply to my site in the future so I've put the thread in this forum, feel free to move it though.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I wouldn't mind knowing, but then again, I wouldn't need to be made aware of such "banter". I don't think I'd consider it to be a pressing issue - if anything, I'd find it amusing.

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Of course I'd want to know, in fact I've watched trolls stage their coordinated attacks that way after finding them through the Linkbacks. It was fun to watch them get angrier and angrier as I deleted them before they could even post :)

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

If it makes a difference both sites are very large with many moderators. Site1 has active moderating, site2 little moderating. The owner of site2 has not been around for a long time.

A long time ago I decided that no matter now a site is run there will be people that do not like that site and there would be discussions by those people on other forums. The active signing up and trolling puts a different perspective on that.

I could post a link in the appropriate thread on site1, try to PM a mod and tell him to pass the link on, or report post. PM might be the best idea but am not sure.

5. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Yes I would like to know and I would contact the site owner about it. I don't want my members bashing competitor sites and I wold like the same in return.

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I sent a PM to one of the mods and they thanked me.

My take:
    1. I really do not care about grumblings on other sites regarding my site.
    2. I would like to know if people are joining up to troll, simply to make the moderating easier.

7. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I figure, let 'em talk over there. Their people will come to my site to see what the big deal is.

;)