New Smileys

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Nick, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Nice Smileys! I Dont Think Im Going To Add Some To My Site For Awhile.
    Because Im Thinking Of How It Will Look At First, What Needs To Be
    Where, And Who Is Who, What Rank Goes With What Group. That Kind
    Of Stuff.
    One Thing, Try Some New Post ICONS

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yeah, we're looking into the post icons as well. Some of these smileys should be suitable as replacements. Be on the lookout for those changes in the coming days. :)

3. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey

Nice Nice Nice, Okay Will Look Out For Any Changes. :D

4. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Going against the tide, I rather like the little clunky ones better than the new ones. Except there are some nifty non-face icons in the group.

Smilies are extremely important, I believe. It is sort of like a sound system in a car. Some people look at the outside of the car and the engine. Some people know it's the sound system that makes it worth having. Smilies are to a forum kind of what the sound system is to a car, they are pretty much the whole point. Well on my forum anyway, some days it seems we have more smilies than members. And the members keep offering more. Right now there are about 10 bunnies I am supposed to add. :2cents: :yes:

So for those of us who are serious about smilies, we most kindly need a link to the full smilie page from the navbar. It's too long to get to it from the post edit box and the darn page closes each time one is selected. :P

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

That's why you click show all smileys at the end of the list....

6. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I posted a link to the script that printon coded which places all smilies under the editor box. This allows you to see all the smilies and it's also neatly organized. Personally, I hate opening a link to view more smilies. Princetons script is installed on all my styles and forums it's one of the first scripts I install.

Nick -I displayed a screenshot further up this thread you pught to have a look and maybe install the script?

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Personally, I'd rather only have some smilies below the quick reply, but not the standard/full editor. I like having them on the side.

As always though, I'm open to hear what other members (and administrators) have to say about this and I don't mind changing it at popular demand. ;)

8. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

[offtopic]

You better hop to it because those things multiply. :D

[/offtopic]

I'm not a big fan of the newer ones either, I cannot figure out what they are supposed to convey without have the mouse hovering over them and the words popping up.

Smilies are key to a forum. Usually the problem is the lack of 'positive' smilies. One site has removed every smiliey that conveys a positive message and the people post accordingly (much negativity). You have got plenty of smilies that convey a positive message and to me that is the most important thing. :thumbup:

If you really want some feedback then maybe an anonymous poll, at least for the vB stock smilies. You could always put back the stock smilies with the stock codes and bury them in the additional smilies (most of us have the codes memorized) and put the newer ones on the reply to thread box using different codes.

9. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Yeah, I have to admit and agree with abomination. visually, the smilies look great but it's hard to judge what some of them actually convey. Not to worry though, they look great that's what matters in a superficial kind of way. :D << doesn't look or conveys a emoticon who has a biggrin. .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  10. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Only if it can be an option or is made collapsible so I can remove it. I personally don't like the additional height it gives looks amateur in my opinion. But I don't necessarily like the box on the right either.

11. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    :2cents:

I am not a fan of these new smilies myself. The ones that Nick linked that Wayne uses, however, are much nicer in my opinion. I don't like big smilies and these in particular are hard to tell what they're trying to convey, like a few people already mentioned.

I also don't agree that smilies "make" a forum or are the "point" of a forum. I am even surprised that was said. They're not that big of a deal...

12. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

They are for me, and many people. I'm a complete smilie addict and can hardly make a post without using one (or more). They help express what I'm trying to convey. Use of the appropriate smiley is an absolute must.

However, I do agree that smilies don't "make" a forum, not are they the point of a forum, unless of course the topic of the forum is smilies. :eek:

However, I will admit that I'd have to be pretty desperate to post on a forum that was devoid of smilies. :frown:

13. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Yes, agreed. While I don't feel that the use of emoticons is necessary when it comes to successfully managing a discussion forum, they are indeed one of the many minor details that make a community fun and interactive.

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Okay, well you guys let me know of a smiley set you want used and I'll be glad to upload them. ;)

15. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I have grown to become less than fond of these smileys. It's time to get rid of them (I should have listened to you guys sooner! :p)

What do you think of these simple but effective smileys? Forum Promotion &bull; Smilies

16. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Eww.

I want a middle finger smiley, or one that screams out Boss, The Master, Thy King, His Majesty, or something that would refer to me.

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Oh, you must have made a mistake - all of those refer to me.

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

So -1 on the new proposed set.

But +1 from me, if it counts.

We need your opinions people. :D

19. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    You wish, sport. :P

I'm in favor of animated smileys, except I don't like the cheap look. Like how vB's default one are. :P

20. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Me no likey ;~;