More new forums

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by possum37, Aug 18, 2000.

1. possum37

possum37 Regular Member

Just had a brainstorm. Religion, and Family. Seems there are a few theologians in the Soup (COUGH COUGH), and PLENTY of people with families...

Those two might also help draw in some people of different age ranges & interests.

Comments?

----------------------------
    My knob tastes funny.

2. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

you know I agree, poss...

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience."

- Woodrow Wilson

3. Masterchief

Masterchief Regular Member

YEAH! Religion

I'd like that. I'm very religiousy.

Think about it Alien

BTW : The task you set me is near completion

I don't get it?
    Signature?
    What is all this?
    mailto:[email protected]
    I love you all, apart from you

4. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Count me out for modding the Religion forum! Way too much work, what with the flames, and the holy wars, and the "my religion is better than your religion" threads...

...And the fact that I'm an athiest....

On an long enough timeline, everyone's survival rate drops to zero.

5. possum37

possum37 Regular Member

Dan, that's what would make you perfect for it, and I honestly mean that. The other crap would indeed truly suck, but having an atheist in a forum like that would IMHO be a good thing.

My knob tastes funny.

6. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Talk to my gf. I'm sure she'd talk you out of it.
    Despite what you might think, my athiestic beliefs don't hinder my opinions on organized religions in any way. I have very strong opinions on religion, and putting me in charge of such a forum would probably not work out for all involved.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm not the man for the job.
    Besides, I have enough going on right now with my certification push. I don't need to start playing Overlord Supreme of the Great AlienSoup Online Holy War!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  7. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

. it's not something I could do either...it's not really something I can be objective with...

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience."

- Woodrow Wilson

8. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

You'd get along quite well with my bf. Sometimes I think half of the things he says will send me strait to Hell by association. He had me bawling about religion on Good Friday.
    However, I do like the idea of a religion forum. I used to be quite the little Bible thumper, but I've toned down a lot. I promise not to tell anyone that they're going to Hell. OH! And it'll give me a place to tell my Psycho Christians story. .

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin

9. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

psycho christians..??

- Woodrow Wilson

10. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

You must mean my aunt.
    My dad calls her "The Popess".

Picture this:
    A few years ago, I had a bout with colitis. I was sick in bed for months.
    Anyway, my aunt is visiting from Brazil with my cousin for my sisters wedding. On a particularly bad day, I went to bed early. I groggily come to at about 2AM to see above me... holy candles spread throughout my room, and my aunt "floating" above me, dabbing me with holy water and praying.

I swear, I thought I had passed away in my sleep.

11. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

I guess they were travelling evangelists, but they sure didn't convert anyone. They basically stayed my college's cafeteria and told us we were all going to hell for sexually related sins. I hugged one of my guy friends (my current bf now), and they asked me if I fornicated with him. They literally thumped their Bibles at us. I mean, people like that were enough to make me ashamed to call myself a Christian. One of my friends and I sat down and tried to tell them that they should be nice if they wanted to witness and what-not, but we were told that we were going to Hell for having non-Christian friends. We found out later that they had arrest warrants in a few states .

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. - Calvin

12. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

Almost reminds me of the episode of South Park that was on recently, where all of the people go to hell, and the "orientation" person is explaining to them about how they came to be in hell.
    He mentions that only one religion actually gets admittance to heaven, so someone asks what religion was the right religion.
    The orientation guy says "That would be the Mormons. The Mormons."

LMAO at that one. .

13. Masterchief

As long as you guys are bitching about Catholics and the Pope - I'm a happy pappy - i feel strongly about that.

DD go for it

I don't get it?
    Signature?
    What is all this?

14. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

those are the type of people who have made me not trust priests/churches, mth.

I used to go to a church that everyone thought was wonderful...I never liked the pastor but everyone else thought he was wonderful. Turns out he beat his wife on a regular basis...

- Woodrow Wilson

15. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

Lemme see. I went to a really nice, friendly little Episcopal church in Fort Myers. I found out that one of their priests was excommunicated for having an affair (I think that's what it was for), and he wound up teaching ethics of all things at my college. Before that, I went to a different church in Bonita. I grew up with the priest's kid. About two years ago, I found out that his dad got kicked out for having an affair with the head of the Women's Guild.

16. liltaz

liltaz Regular Member

And people wonder why there are so many who won't trust the church

- Woodrow Wilson

17. Masterchief

I feel really annoyed at the way people potray priests to be paedophiles and molestors when they're all not that bad, sure there have been a few. especially in ireland. But that's just a weak few. Catholics are being put down due to this. I condemn the priests actions as it is totally wrong and immoral but your forgetting that these men have never had sex, nor had any female relationship. So I suppose lust comes down to it.
    Rest assured I hate priests who betray the church but now you see the excuse altho it isn't always that way .

I see the TV and I raise you 5!!!! TV's

I don't get it?
    Signature?
    What is all this?
    Guess what! I met this guy who has a 2000GB hard trive which I think is really cool! BLA BLA BLA

18. Alien

Alien Regular Member

I'll most likely go along with a possible family forum, also considering food/drink since theirs dozens of topics on this already on our forums...

Religion I may pass on, I haven't fully decided yet. .

I'm also examining what to do with the tech and games forums, since their are enough dedicated places to these subjects.. We'll see...

Thoughts welcome.

Alien - Administrator / Owner
    ["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
    rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]

19. Boone

Boone Regular Member

I don't think religion is a good idea for a forum, the topic of religion could lead to much controversy. I myself was raised Catholic but rarely go to church, and with today's scientific theories about the creation of the earth I'm not sure what I believe in. It'd be a shame to see people at each other's throats all due to a difference in faith.

Just my $.02 though.

Boone

20. Alien

Alien Regular Member

It's inevitable that personal attacks will begin in religion, it's not the controversy that would worry me.. I welcome discussion, even heated debate as long as respect is involved.

However rarely do the two go hand in hand.

Then again, it doesn't take religion for people to go at each other's throats with no reason.. .

People just have a tendency to get offended if someone doesn't believe the same thing, and almost make it a personal mission to change someone, instead of just tossing out things and letting them make up their own mind.. Gets too damn personal. Religion is one of those things that rarely have a 'medium', it's usually one extreme or the other.

If we ever made a forum such as this, it would have several strict rules, that's for sure.

Alien - Administrator / Owner
    ["Everything was true. God was an alien. Oz really is over the
    rainbow. ...and Midian is where the monsters live." -Nightbreed]