Monthly stipend for work on a forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've been asked to submit a quote for building a forum, including a monthly stipend for installing mods/tweaking/patching things. Other people will be in charge of the moderation, and I have an idea of what I'd charge per hour, but how many hours would you estimate it would turn out to be for just working on the software? The membership will be about 4,000.

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I have a small handful of clients who have contracted me out to work on their forums on a regular basis. Sometimes they need more than other times, so I charge based on the workload.

One of my clients usually gives me a small list of things to do and values each list (which commonly consists of one or two template edits, a couple of mod installations, and a couple of option/setting tweaks) at about $100.
    Other clients will pay $15 for an upgrade and a few modification installs, for example.

I don't have any established rates or fees, and I don't charge by the hour (because I rarely work for an hour straight on the same thing -- I like to mix things up).

I generally come up with an amount after I have completed the work. Factors including how much time I spent, how hard I had to work, tediousness of the work involved, and the nature of the work all contribute to the price I conjure.
    Most of the time though, I ask the client what they would be willing to pay, and if it's feasible, then I go for it. I'm very flexible because I do it as a freelance hobby - not a business (but I don't do it for free).

3. Tubeget

Tubeget Novice

First Name:
    vamsi4u
    100$ /month is good :)

4. torque

torque Regular Member

If they want you at their beckoning call I would say $100/month

5. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Why not be differant. Why not pay them to hire you?

6. David

David Regular Member

It depends on the situation. For me if the site makes a huge profit and i'm helping them make that profit, I expect a certain percentage in return depending on how much I helped.

Sometimes, I do work completely for free, like I just made this lady a dog biscuit site at no cost to her (other than software) because she is a non-profit.