Moderators accepting new moderators to the team

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Michael, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

On your forum do your moderators tend to be welcoming to new moderators on the team or do they take a step back or even show no interest in the new moderator being a part of the team or even altogether lose interest in your forum?

We have just added a new moderator to our team and one of our other moderators just doesnt seem interested, welcoming or anything at all to be honest lol

Personally I would expect a friendly welcome, maybe a little chat just anything but silence :D

2. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Honestly, this would give me the thought that the moderators are to cliquey if they weren't enthused, or act enthused of a new addittion to the team. Usually, with a new forum, I'll appoint a super and general moderator and don't add new people for awhile.

3. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Most of the time i've found they are incredibly supportive, i had the odd one or two that didn't, but they aren't on the team now.

4. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

I think it helps if they participate in the selection of the next mod. The final decision should be the admin's, of course. But if mods can give some thoughts about 2-3 candidates that should help their acceptance. And even before that step, a discussion among management to be sure the other mods think they need another team member.

Especially if they did not participate in the selection process, if mods aren't welcoming of a new mod it's possible they know something detrimental. And they may think their information and opinion weren't welcome by the admin, and now they are stuck with what they may see as a bad decision. Just a possibility. When I've asked mods for feedback on a mod candidate a couple of times something came out that I hadn't known. And that I was very glad to find out and avoid a mistake.

5. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I absolutely agree with this!

If your moderators aren't given at least the ability to voice their thoughts or concerns about a new mod, then I'm not surprised that some of them might feel a little put out.

Yes, in the end it's your decision, but at least give the appearance that you're taking your mods opinions into account.

And if you go against their opinions, be prepared to give up some info explaining why. (some people might disagree with that last part)

6. Donkey

Donkey Addict

First Name:
    Jon
    I'd make sure everyone's happy BEFORE making a new mod.

7. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

This may be the sticky wicket in the first place. If the admin is trying to make some changes in mod philosophy and behavior that 'old' mods aren't welcoming, while keeping the old mods, it's going to be uncomfortable for everyone. Especially the new mod.

8. teen12

teen12 Newcomer

I am the latest staff addition and everyone was very welcoming to me :) .

9. Rinkatinka

Rinkatinka Regular Member

First Name:
    Rin
    Depends, I tend to welcome people to our staff, I feel it makes them feel better. But I'm one of the very few people who do welcome new people.