Men only forums

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by FullMetalBabe, Jun 15, 2009.

1. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I didn't know where to post this but I hope I posted in the right section!

Ok, I've seen lately that a lot of the forums made contain things that are for men only that usually degrade woman and such. I know there are niches for women only but in the new generation the battle of the sexes, in my opinion is slowly fading away. I must say I am one example of a 'Manly' girl. I play video games, I love cars, auto details, I love doing different kinds of sports, and I do the 'man' jobs in my house such as cutting the grass, mantaining the garden, painting, fixing broken appliences and much more. Though I still say that some of this 'manly' sites contain things that can be derragotory of pretty much exclude women.

Maybe it's me complaining or something, I know everyniche of its own, but it would be nice to not forget women surf the net.

Do you think women would stop by these kinds of forums? I kind of would... but from the forums I've seen so far.... =\

Would you ever make a forum pointed at a specific gender?

2. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I think that's the exact point of specific-gender forums; to intentionally focus on one gender and exclude the other. I don't see why a specific-gender forum would want to try to make their forum welcoming to the other gender.

If the members of the "manly forum" do not want women there (and vise versa), no, I don't think you should be there. You should respect that... after all, they made the forum for a reason.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I do respect, though ._. tbh...some men discussion boards are more interesting than women discussion boards, but I am afraid to sign up for the simple fact that it's 'Men only'. =\ A lot of the women boards are just... ugh! But some other 'Manly' forum have more conversation, which I would love partake on, but I can't... for the obvious reason.

4. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Or... or you could do the unthinkable! ;)

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Uhh, NO! ._. I will not pretend to be a man!!...though it WOULD be fun... Savage gimme some of your pics, I will use them to forge my gender!

On a serious note, I am proud of being a woman who loves to talk about games, football, baseball, basketball, cars[Lancer EVO is my favorite] and so much more...=\ I don't see the reasoning in hiding that I am a girl...

6. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

I have gender specific forums - however, they are all one and the same, just different front ends, and depending on male or female, a different home forum that neither sex can see the other :)

7. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I interpreted the word "forum" in this thread as an entire website. I didn't even think about a forum (section) within your forum. On an off-topic forum, I think it would be kind of cool to have male and female only sections based on a required user profile field that cannot be edited at registration (so you can't cheat).

8. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

My forum is a 'mens' forum and I have women members.

I actually used to have a lot before the whole closing thing...

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

FullMetalBabe, I've occasionally experienced the same thing. Men are usually not aware there's a problem because they're used to having everything centered around them. Even the otherwise nice guys will see nothing wrong with posting sexy pictures of women and drooling all over them, but they'd be pretty disgusted or think us flighty if we did the same thing over cheesecake photos of men.

10. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I know I wouldn't care.

11. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'm going to refrain from posting in this thread, I think - other than this post, of course. ;)

12. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

You have pictures of cheesecake!? :spin: I love cheesecake!

:p

13. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

Why?

14. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

YES!! Exactly! A lot of these forums kind of degrade women... Makes me wonder what men talk about me... Other than that they can hold some pretty good discussion.... but the turnoff's are that 'Men' could only join or that they have some degrading pictures of women.

I know there are some manly forum that are actually decent, and I applaud.

15. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Uhh, ^^;; LOL

16. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    That's a good idea. I'm beginning to get defensive. And usually nothing really bothers me.

17. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Men's Forums... Women's Forums... Men's Magazines... Women's Magazines... We even have Men's Television channels (Spike TV, G4) and Women's Television channels (Lifetime, LMN, Oxygen).

In the end it all evens out. If you like all those things than start a Women's Forum about those topics. Have fun and forget about the boys on their Men's Forums. I've provided support at Women's Forums where they did the same thing that you're complaining about. They posted pictures of men and objectified them. It happens. There can be equality or there can be special rights. You can't have both.

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

How can you be so sure he doesn't look like a woman?

19. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

At least I can legitimately say I am a manly woman if he did.

And Wayne, as I said... D: There are some men forum more interesting that woman, and the only thing refraining me from posting is 'Men only' part.

20. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

To be honest, i find men accept women a lot more than women accept men. I much prefer men and their company - always have *sigh* Am such a tomboy :P