Members who are never satisfied

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I've observed, on many communities, that sometimes a member (or group of members) never seems to be satisfied. Whenever a change is made by the administration, or a new feature is added, or something is removed, etc., the member always finds something to complain about -- whether it's legitimate or not -- and seems to enjoy expressing anger.

The weird thing is is that these members seem to stick around: they still post throughout the forums and spend a lot of time within the community... but they always find something to be dissatisfied with.

What do you think is the reason that some members do this? How do you handle these members on your forums? And how do you react to them when you encounter them on other forums (not your own)?

2. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    I sick my co-workers on them.

There is actually a term for this. I seen it on one those word a day. They always see things half empty. Which is fine because that's who they are. No matter what discussion they will always see things with a negative side. Actually they're usually more observant too.

Depending on the personality that goes with that attitude it's going to depend. A few I'll send a teasing phrase, they know I'm remarking on this disorder because I know them. If I don't I'll try to use a turn of phrase on them. To see if they are going to actually 'cause' trouble. You can usually tell. Like yours they make remarks but have stuck around.

2 people like this.
  3. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

I call 'em....punks. ;)

I think they do it purely for attention. It may not be the best way to get it, but their way to get your attention of the observations...an ironic constructive criticism, in a way. Yeah, I really said that. lol

Some people honest do not know how to be constructive or in any way complimentary. I'm still learning myself!!

So, depending on what they've put forth, I may ignore them completely or suggest in a way for them to proverbially, put their money where their mouth is challenge. They'll either go away or step up.

4. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    usually i see what other members think-if a few other members complaim about it, i will make some changes, but if the other members are happy with it, i wont change it

5. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I just kill 'em with kindness. No use arguing, stooping to their level, and possibly looking like a bully. I've got one member who I think just hates all the staff. We could walk on water and he'll say that we're disturbing the fish, lmao. I take this guy with a grain of salt.

There are some people who are legitimately critical of staff decisions and actions I find them to be more genuine as in they're in it for the best for the community not just to piss and moan. I tend to listen to and converse with these folks on a semi-regular basis.

2 people like this.
  6. kneel

kneel Regular Member

i just fly by the rule of "you cant please everyone, so ya got to please yourself".

Theres always gonna be a hater or two, and yes, it is always the person who is on daily and posts all the time...lol..

who knows...

7. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    Miserable Users hack if it's someone who is always complaining just to piss and moan. Especially if that attitude is in all their forum posts, then it is critical you get rid of them before they poison the entire community.

8. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah I'm sure actually trying to make them miserable won't bring any good results. :D

9. psilocybin

psilocybin Newcomer

Maybe it is just me, but I have no patience for these types of users. I tried the Miserable Users hack before and that works somewhat. I generally make sure that the rules are clear and that infractions will happen for repeated abuse and/or rudeness etc..

This usually shuts them up or gets them banned, either way the problem gets solved. :)

10. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We get quite a few members like this, they are worst than trolls especially how they have grown to be known around the forums usually, they can do a lot of damage just acting the way they do and completely discourage others about your forum.

I think people who are like this online are the same in person, the types who always see the worst of things, always moan about life etc

The best way to deal with them probably would be the miserable users hack but people who have a lot of time on their hands can always get around that and come back to bitch some more.

11. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    We actually added this to our rules some time ago...