Management of Multiple Forums / Income, Expenses, etc

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by BoostN, Sep 2, 2013.

1. BoostN

BoostN Regular Member

I'm looking for other admins to share what tools/processes they use to track multiple forums. You have many aspects right:
    1) Tracking Income / Adsense, etc
    2) Tracking Passwords for the actual MySQL, Cpanel, 3rd Party logins, etc
    3.)Paying vendors to advertise, usually recurring..
    ...and many, many more..

I currently have 1 very active forum and just starting a new one (with Xenforo). It's been enough upkeep already with one with tracking the information, but branching out with more will create more of a problem for me. With the launch of my new forum, I've started a change log document tracking every change I make, I wish I had done this for my other forum but..

Brandon likes this.
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I am very old school. I use Notepad for EVERYTHING!! LOL And I keep all the important passwords on a usb stick which is backed up on my other USB stick. Just in case. But, yeah it is a pain to keep going back and forth, I think it is best to keep it all organized in a text file. Least that is what I do.

3. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Income is tracked semi-regularly. If I don't see a payment from say Adsense by the 24th I know to go look at the site and see what's up.

Vendor payments are tracked by email. As each invoice comes in it's starred in Gmail until I pay it. For most companies, I know their due date setup; one host bills on the 12th and is due on the 15. Another bills on on 1st and is due on the 7th.

Passwords are managed by Lastpass. Though I don't store mySQL passwords. It's trivial to look in config.php or make another user if I need to do something with the DB outside of phpmyadmin.

To expand on @Cerberus Notepad idea. That's fine and dandy I used Notepad for quite a while but I'd stick password files in a truecrypt (http://truecrypt.org) database just to be safe. I keep all my GNU Cash (check book register) files in one. Keepass is an even better idea for password management though I'm partial to Lastpass.

4. BoostN

BoostN Regular Member

I use KeePass, and that's a great solution for password management. But as said, password management is just one thing to keep up with. I've often though of writing a webapp that would let me manage everything. But that requires time which I don't have..

Currently, I have a folder on my PC for each site I have with important information within a spreadsheet. It works, but I hate it.

5. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Have you thought of a personal Wiki? I was looking at Connected Text (http://www.connectedtext.com/index.php) a while back it looked promising. EverNote could probably serve the same purpose. My only problem with a personal Wiki or Evernote is it takes a while to learn the system then setup your own system within their system and you always have to worry about being able to get your data out should the program die.

As it is now I have a Sites folder and subfolders for each site. Under each site's folder is various plain text notes, graphics, media kits, etc. It's far from ideal but it sorta works for now.

One of things I keep is a BEFORE UPGRADE file for each site. With vB specifically I tell myself to remember to delete /install/install.php, /favicon.ico, rename admincp and modcp, etc from the upgrade package. I cannot you how many times I've overwritten favicon.ico and had to extract a 10 GB backup for one little file. Grr!

6. flametiger

flametiger Regular Member

Dan Hutter likes this.
  7. BoostN

BoostN Regular Member

Seems like the majority use the same structure. Backing up in dropbox is a good idea, but.. what if it does get compromised? That's asking for trouble I guess. For now I'll use keypass with a backup of that on my external hardrive.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  8. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Thanks Tiger I'm checking it out as we speak. :)
    Speaking for myself, I have a ridiculously long password for Dropbox plus 2 step-login verification. Anything sensitive gets thrown in a Truecrypt volume before being uploaded to DB.

9. BoostN

BoostN Regular Member

Perfect..

10. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

The only downside to this is the whole TC volume has to be reuploaded every time you make a change so try and keep the volume small. My daily driver TC volume holds my GNUCash files (checkbook register), a few images, and important passwords I keep it to 25 MB which syncs in a couple of minutes after dismount.