Macs Vs. Windows

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by The Cadet, Sep 5, 2009.

1. The Cadet

The Cadet Adept

First Name:
    Jonah
    Ugh. To stop from cluttering up the other thread.

Lolwut... 98? O.o Trolling?

I have played CSS online with my macbook. Without parallels, boot camp, or any form of windows emulation. There is a Cider Patch. :D

...?
    One button?
    Look closer. The standard mouse that comes with mac OSX has 4 buttons. The buttons on the sides (1), the left click (2) the weird rolling ball thingy which can be pressed in the middle (3) and... a right click (4). Yep, you heard me. Right click. It isn't set as default, but it can be used if you go to system preferences.

MACS DO NOT HAVE ONE MOUSE BUTTON
    STOP CLAIMING THIS
    GRAAAH

Okay, granted. Macbooks are guilty of the eternal sin of one-button mouses (making things such as using boot camp on them without a USB mouse almost imposslble), but that's what ctr+click is for... not attractive, but w/e; I have my trackball so I don't complain.

However, I will argue that there is nothing that windows computer can do that a macbook (given a certain amount of software) can't (with the exclusion of getting most conventional viruses and having infected security patches-hello confrikter or whatever it's called). Hell, for most things people usually claim you "need a windows for", there's already some form of mac patch (granted, counterstrike and half life 2 for mac aren't exactly easy to find, but I have both on my computer, so suck it).

Don't come to me with a price argument either. The average mac costs about $1000; you can usually get them slightly below this. The average windows computer may cost less in the short term, but a macbook will generally last longer if you aren't a security freak. You'll have to buy a good antivirus program, which costs a lot of money, you may have to pay for repairs, etc. And also, note that Snow Leopard is going for 29 bucks to those who have Leopard. How much does Windows 7 cost to those who have vista?

Macs>PCs

2. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Yes, what my mom got was a Macbook.

The only reasons there are so many viruses for PC's and so few for Macs is that there is such a deep-seated hatred for Microsoft out there, and PC's are what are practically running the world right now.

If Macs were more popular among financial institutions and governments, etc., then you'd see far more viruses for them. And yes, I'm well aware that at least a few years ago Macs fell under the out-dated classification of "Super-Computer" and could not be sold or shipped to many middle-eastern and Asian countries.

And yes, there ARE viruses for Macintosh computers. Not sure about Linux, tho.

Yes, it's been a while since I've used any sort of Mac, but there's a reason for that; when I did NEED to use them, I absolutely hated everything about them...the interface, the (maybe now defunct) single-button mouse, everything. I was very put out, and I don't see a reason to look back.

I'm a PC, and I'm happy that way.

But thank you for pointing out that in the other thread that even mentioning Macs was very trollish behavior.

Can we agree to disagree and leave it at that? Again, Macs may be great, but I and many other people have no desire to use them.

Just stop the snobbery.

:)

3. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

I'm a Mac and I can do more than a Windows.

4. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Mac is better than PC, says a PC user. Why? Because for what I need my computer for, designing, the Mac interface and usability surpasses a PC in all levels.

5. kneel

kneel Regular Member

my next computer will be a mac or i wont buy one. Im SO SO SO SO sick of bill gates and his empire..that friggin blue screen that comes out of nowhere..and theres nuthin u can do about it...

mac or bust....this addict says!!

6. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Get a better PC. You will never be a Mac user.

7. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    Heck, the $29/£25 Snow Leopard upgrade works on Intel Tiger machines too - I upgraded my first gen Intel iMac with the family pack ;)

No, I think you misunderstand. This is not really the reason Macs do not have viruses. They are much more secure, and based upon Unix.
    From a CNN Blog:

It is much harder to make a Mac virus.

See above.

No - this is malware. ;) You'd have to be quite silly to get your computer to run it though, since if someone sent it to you you'd have to physically give it permission (like, type in your password) for it to run on your computer. This is why it's bundled with cracked versions of Photoshop CS 4 for Mac - but you shouldn't be doing that anyway (it's illegal). I think you misunderstand that there really aren't any viruses for Mac - Mac OS 9, yes, but Mac OS X is a new OS built on a completely different system architecture, which again is MUCH more secure.

If you're an OS 9 user - go out to a computer store and play around with one of the latest Macs. OS 9 was 10 years ago now. You'll really see how much better OS X is :)

I'm a PC, and I'm happy that way.

It wasn't trollish. He was having problems with Windows, and Ryan/Aiwa gave him valid advice - to get a Mac.

8. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

No stop there, do not type anymore. You do not know how wrong this statement is. Malware is not a virus.

9. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Semantics. There are vulnerabilities.

Also, you forgot to quote the bullet just above the one you did from the CNN article.
    Anyway...I'll do you this...I'll see if I can borrow my mom's Macbook (may not be able to because it's still Disctrict Property) and give it a shot. Not because I will ever switch to Mac, but to give my honest opinion of OSX. No bias.

But I will say, my 3d software is PC only. My video editing software is PC only. My SQL software is PC only. My CS3 is for PC, and I don't think you can purchase an upgrade to Mac versions, so therefore I would need to purchase an all-new license. My photo enlargement software is PC only. My large format printer is PC only. My plotters (vinyl cutters) are PC only. CorelDRAW is PC only.

I personally have very little incentive to "upgrade" to a Mac.

And again, if Mac is what you prefer, hey, I'm not trying to convert you to PC. I'm just asking that you drop the snobbery. It really is like a religion for you, isn't it?

What's the word? Quit proselytizing.

10. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Everything you have for your PC, there is a version or software that does the same thing on a Mac.

11. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    I corrected that for you. Heck, Snow Leopard even comes with built in anti-virus to prevent those very few vulnerabilities. Malware remember, not viruses.

Yeah, because there's only "SOME" truth to it. It's not fully true. I didn't want you to start going off again and ignore what I was saying about the more secure base of Unix. I was trying to emphasise my point. I did say "not *really* true" though, so as to not completely ignore the fact.

Adobe will transfer your licence from PC to Mac for free.

You do. Just your CAD/CAM programs don't work, and you're stuck in your PC ways/opinions.

12. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Perhaps, but that also means spending even more money.

As I said, I have no real incentive to change.

I'll give you this one chance: Find the Mac drivers for an HP DesignJet 5500 PS, a Roland GX-24 and a Graphtec CE5000-60, along with the sofware that comes with each machine specifically(or software that has the same machine-specific settings as the original).

13. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

One thing is to use a Mac, to have an open mind meanwhile using it is another story.

14. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I'm not stuck in any way.

And my words needed no correcting where you did.

FINANCIALLY, I have no incentive.

Um, yeah...just my $3500 3d modeling and animation software and just my multi-thousand-dollar sign-making equipment.

As I said, quit proselytizing. Look it up.

The sign business is run on PCs.

15. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    You don't need "drivers". Leopard comes with all the drives you need, and Snow Leopard automatically installs drivers on demand. Just a quick search brought up Apple's site, so the HP has got to be supported. I'll have a more detailed look later for you.

HP DesignJet 5500ps UV, 5500ps Printers | Mac Products Guide

16. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Get Paint for Mac. Will work a charm.

17. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Um...thank you...?

18. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Um...welcome...?

19. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

20. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Let's not get tremendously heated in here, please. :)

I'm a Mac user myself. The overall interface and capability of the operating system is quite incredible - and this is coming from someone who used Windows for many years. It's all a matter of personal preference.