Less activities during summer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Sylvain, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

Do you see a drop in registration or participation during summer? Or during any other season?

2. Hanaseru

Hanaseru Regular Member

I think that it depends on the exact niche.

For things targetted towards kids (games), I guess there is leas activity during exam time in around June, or maybe all around the school year.

I haven't noticed it in the summer though.

3. Jura

Jura Regular Member

My anime forum has more new members and introduction topics.

4. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

Not really this summer i have got about 40 new members but i can see some forums having that happen to them i really don't know it happend with my last forum but this time its changed.

5. limcid

limcid Regular Member

I think the slow period is around the time school session starts up around the end of Summer. Even older members have less time because of kids and the general increased activities during the transition from Summer to Fall.

6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

We actually receive more traffic and activity during the summer because most of our members are in high school or in College, so summer time is usually when we break a lot of records from the year before. August is usually our most active month.

7. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

I thought there was less actively during summer due to vacation and nice weather

8. NotoriousMK

NotoriousMK Regular Member

The past year I did see a drop but not this one...not sure why.

9. Gregman

Gregman Regular Member

Although the forum I have right now is new. I have noticed a lot less traffic in the summer then winter on other forums. No one wants to be inside in the summer when you can be outside enjoying the nice weather.

Greg

10. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

Activity is slow during summer, but luckily, for some of my sites, I see some activity. I almost had 7 users online at once for the first time. Hopefully this is indication of what the future brings. :)

11. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

That's what I think, warm weather = less time on internet, at least it is true for me

12. NotoriousMK

It used to be for me the past years but this year it's the exact opposite. I'm not sure what changed...

13. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Has anyone here been running contests on their forum for the summer?

14. nafretiti

nafretiti Regular Member

I think any place online really drops off in the summer sometimes, not all the time it really depends if you have a huge community and there are a lot of people inside with air conditioner. Then again it depends on if all the kids are home, husbands or wives are around. It is probably a day by day situation whether people are online or not more in the summer then say winter and fall. I have seen a forum drop down and go a little quiet during summer but then again on parts of days like early in the morning there was more activity then there was in the evening.

15. bauss

bauss Regular Member

My forum was receiving more activity in July, but I've closed it until August 15th to make upgrades.

16. oldsmoboi

oldsmoboi Regular Member

yes, summer is always our slow time as there is less automotive news, new models don't start getting shown again until
    September (Frankfurt or Paris auto show). There is a steady increase from November (LA Auto Show) to the peak in January (Detroit Auto Show) tapering off slightly but remaining strong through February (Chicago) and March (New York), slowing down through April and then dropping off for the summer in May.

17. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

In Germany, and I'd venture to say a lot of northern Europe too, online activity is definitely slower during the Summer months. Many Germans, for instance, go on vacation with their children during the Summer school break and in general, they also spend more time outdoors (grill parties, doing garden work, going to a lake or the beach, etc.). They have to get the quality time in, because the cold or rainy weather is just around the corner. I must say though, this Summer has also been a very hot and long one too. Nice!:thumbsup:

Scott

18. ConfabIt

ConfabIt Regular Member

My forum's taken a hit to activity recently, but as to why I don't know. It's probably just the fact people are going on holiday, seeing friends/family etc.

19. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Now that summer is over with, we've been seeing a decrease in our activity.

20. NotoriousMK

Past years, yes i did notice a decrease but this year it was the opposite