Laptop all messed up!

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by 50calray, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    I'm not sure what is going on but my Laptop is all messed up in terms of internet connection. It all fell a part when I deleted firefox. I needed to update my Adobe Flash reader and it has an issue with Firefox. So I generally just delete it and reinstall it later. This time around I can't get it to access the internet. So I did the system restore which put firefox back on my system. When I click on firefox, it thinks about it for a second and then stops thinking. I mean it want even bring up a firefox window. Okay, I try internet explorer. It opens up a window but doesn't connect to anything...doesn't even show my selected home page. Just about everything I do to connect has it trying to dial up but I use a cable modem?

So now I can't set back in my lazy-boy watching King of the Hill checking on my site with my Laptop. Instead I'm stuck at the desk top :(

I'm all ears if anyone has any suggestions.

2. bucket

bucket Addict

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Not acceptable! :p

Can I assume you went to start->settings->network connections and poke around a bit? Did you run the "setup home or small office network"?

I believe that is how I set up mine, but I'm no expert.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    You'll want to make sure you have an Internet connection.
    Open up your command prompt and type ipconfig, what info do you see?

5. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Thanks for the replies.

The part that is really getting me is everything thing I check shows my internet connection is working and I'm receiving a strong signal :shrug:

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Things to consider

can you see any other computer, or any printers, on your network

can you even see the internet from your desktop, based on what you said, yes.

did you try to plug in your laptop to your network using a cat 5(?) cable, does it work that way, can you now see the other computers on your net work, or can you now see the internet.

My wild guess would be there is a wireless router issue, such as having to re-set up the firmware settings. Is your internet secure? Can you take it to a starbucks or drive around the neighborhood and see if you can connect on a unsecured wireless site?

Just ideas.

7. paulh

paulh Novice

First question is which operating system are you using

Second question does your email get new mail and or your antivirus still update. (expected answer is no)

It actually sounds like it is an internet line problem and because there is no adsl connection it is then reverting to giving you the dial up option (quite correctly you will have "use dial up when there is no network connection" set)

So the lights on your router....what is there and what is lit and what is flashing?

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Are you able to ping from the CMD?

try
    Code:
    ping www.msn.com

9. markytomes

markytomes Newcomer

First Name:
    markytomes
    In fact, it sounds like the Internet connection problem, because there is no ADSL connection, and then return to give you a dial-up option.My wild guess will have a wireless router problems, such as re-established, the firmware settings.