Is vb5 almost there now

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Lee G, May 11, 2014.

1. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    I know when vb4 was on a pre release special offer price, a lot of people jumped in, brought the dream, then lived the nightmare while they made something stable and usable.
    By that time, I had lost all interest with their monthly updates, that were mainly less bugs, with a few new ones and maybe a security release for good measure

VB5, I gave a miss on the pre release mumbo jumbo. Its only recently that for various reasons Im looking at vb to see if its a viable option to upgrade to

Looking at the support area (I use an expat proxy service to get on vb now), its mainly minor niggles that seem to be reported. Most of the complaints there seem to be from last year.

Is vb5 finally turning from an ugly duckling into a swan?

Big al likes this.
  2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    You have to remember one thing. You're not seeing the bug reports like you once did because many people have moved on to other software. The few that remain are the new purchasers.

vbulletin is on life support. If you want to stay with vbulletin stay on version 4. It took a while, but, it is stable and mostly bug free. Don't upgrade to vbulletin 5. In fact you should stay far away from it.

3. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Although there will be improvements I do not think that even major surgery can save it.
    As has been stated the basic premise of VB5 was wrong.

4. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    The bug tracker shows about 200 or so bugs remaining

The main ones that I have seen are
    The site map
    Todays posts
    RSS feeds
    The new page builder has some bugs, things like not being able to delete some templates, created pages cant be deleted

Plus you see the odd staff post with something like "that's a known bug"

The best part of the complaints seen to be about July / August 2013

Or have I been in the sun too long and need more sangria to see things more clearly :cool:

5. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Like AWS said the people that reported lots of issues and improvements have migrated to other software. The best thing you can do is to make sure you are up to date with other software so that when needed you can choose the best solution for your site, what ever that might be.

6. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I can only emphasise what's already been said. You won't find many posts about vB5 on vBulletin.com because there are so few sites using it. The software really is still that bad that most clued up site owners won't touch it.

Big al likes this.
  7. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Hey Dad are we there yet? ( months later ) Hey dad are we there yet? (yet even more months later) Dad Dad are we there yet?

"Shaddup kid we will be out of the beta zone shortly"

pixelek, thewhatami and Autopilot like this.
  8. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

@lee vbulletin 5 will never be a swan. It's a death trap. Especially for big boards like yours.
    With vb4 at least they had a stable foundation of vb3 with some of their own tweaks on top. That took them 3 years to get down to only 800 bugs. Now they have rewritten a very large chunk of it, and its a train wreck. There is no way that they will be able to fix that. Ever.
    IF vbulletin gets it right again then it will be with a completely new release. But as they are still changing developers more often than underwear I highly doubt it. Not unless they completely outsource the whole shebang.

Autopilot and Big al like this.
  9. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

There is no reason to even consider vBulletin right now. Better solutions out there.

10. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

First, I think it's a sad world we live in considering people accepted vB4 as good software compared to 3.x series. I guess it was substandard for so long, people just got used to it, accepted it and moved on.

Secondly, you won't see to many people praise vB5. Most the staff don't even recommend it.

11. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

They recommend it, for "small start-up forums".

Looking at their tracker, there are still a good number of critical (18) and major bugs (344, as of today).

That doesn't seem too much like "almost there now" to me. No critical and under 10 major bugs would be more like it.

Scott

Autopilot likes this.
  12. thewhatami

thewhatami Regular Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Just look at https://tools.digitalpoint.com/cookie-search - vB5 represents just over 1% of sites running vB software, so it's hardly surprising that there's little much posted about it on vB.com, which in itself has become a bit of a ghost town.

Big al likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Regular Member

A fanboy upgraded his vb4 site to 5 after everyman and his dog gave him good reason not to .. He didn't listen and defended vb5 to the hilt, he now has posted an apology about his experience after he lost his site and is now starting all over again .. Ask him if it is almost ready .. :cool:

Big al likes this.
  14. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

It's pretty terrible. It's so painful to even visit a site using vB5, I more or less just close the window if it's vB5 now. So little about it works at *all* much less *well*.

Big al likes this.
  15. Big al

Big al Regular Member

It was very good of him to offer an apology. Of course if they stick true to form the VB staff will blame him for trusting their propaganda and believing them enough to buy VB5.

Is it any wonder the VB staff are thought of in a very negative way.

16. Big al

Big al Regular Member

= Total fail and backs up what many customers have been saying all along.

"Where have all the customers gone,
    Where have all the customers gone, long time ago.
    gone to XF every one, when will they ever learn , when will they ever learn"

17. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
  18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

The only issue I had that early really was with search... it was totally unusable. The whole reason I made this: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com/sphinx-search-for-vbulletin-4.870/item

...was because the only other option we had was to disable search.

19. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

Oh my. Oh my oh my. Holly mother of all bad responses from Mark B. He really needs to start caring a lot more to take the time to understand the issue and the circumstances or quit that job now. He couldn't even take the time, the single glance, to see that the customer was in the "vB Cloud" forum? And then he tells the customer to upgrade to get rid of the bug? LOL! :D I pissed my pants, when I saw the customer's response.

upload_2014-5-13_7-6-33.png

How could he tell the customer to upgrade? That is so sad and ridiculously funny at the same time.

c76ad14d14558f73a082337392e2fd23.jpg

I hope Mark apologizes as a minimum and even better, finds the release date for 5.1.1 on vB Cloud for the customer.

How long has vB 5.1.1 been out? 5 days. Ok, so when will vBCloud be upgraded? This will be interesting to follow.

Scott

Autopilot likes this.
  20. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Y'all are too nice. @Mark.B is a [****][****][****][****]ing idiot and has no business on this forum or any other forum that deals with being an admin of a community. I don't know how many damn times shit can be pointed out at his incompetence and overall lack of care for anything related to customer service or common sense before it finally sinks in to people and you all stop being surprised.

[****][****][****][****]er has been doing this for, what, 4+ years at at least now? Y'all continue to be surprised and I'm just sitting here tired of reading this dumbasses shit on forums.

I'm not going to sugar coat shit anymore. (Like I did anyways lol) Either I go or Mark.B goes. It has run its course. 4 years of this shit almost. Someone needs to make a change in the direction of forum admin communities and leave these idiots behind. TAZ won't do it. Hopefully this place will.