Is it really still possible to start a forum from scratch?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Tyler, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I've been out of the forum loop for a long time, so I'm sorry if this kind of question gets brought up a lot, which I imagine it does.

From what I can tell, forums aren't as popular as they used to be, making it especially hard to kick-start a brand new one. That, plus the fact that it's really hard to find a niché that hasn't been done yet.

I know the big and established forums that have always been there aren't dying. Forums are an extremely good way to educate yourself and I bet a ton of people don't even realize they're using a forum, but rather a website with a convienient way of commenting and asking for advice (bodybuilding.com for example).

But what if I wanted to create a new one from scratch? Who honestly thinks they can do that, without using another one of your forums to say "hey, I just made another forum - go join it", and actually see it go somewhere?

I'm asking because I've been thinking about trying.

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It can be done. The key is content so you should have some interesting things already in place. I have seen a few forums in the past year become very popular. It takes hard work.

3. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Content other than the forum? Like a little blog or website?

4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    No, just good forum posts. Topics that will cath a new users attention and make them want to join to discuss it. The problem with starting a forum is many people like to reply rather then start a thread. It's the way most people are. Once a person starts to talk to you we all carry on in conversation. Same happens in forums. It's human nature. So to get people engaged until you get a few that will start topics is to start them yourself.

5. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    That makes sense. But what about the niche? If I wanted to make a forum about health and fitness, could just basic relevant topics in a generic health and fitness forum structure be enough to have complete strangers want to be part of my site? Or would I need to take health and fitness and make it more specific? For example, health and fitness for those of us in the military, or an entire forum about specifically losing weight and getting lean (with only a minor focus on gaining/bulking). Could that be better?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  6. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    You can talk about anything although you should have some topics that are in the niche. Any topic that will get people talking is all that matters. Even if it's about what side of the bread should be buttered. Don't laugh. I started a about that topic on the off topic forum I sold. It was the most hotly debated and popular topic on the forum. Some of the responses were hilarious.