IPB 4 Demo Site

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by AWS, Jun 29, 2014.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Looks like IPB has a demo board up and running. You have to be approved for posting, but, here it is.

http://zend.ipsdevserver.com/ips4/

Once I have access to the beta downloads I'll have a demo running here.

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I've signed up and am awaiting approval.

zappaDPJ likes this.
  3. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I signed up hours ago, not been approved. But then I'm not a license holder and didn't think I would be approved. You should get approved though no problem.Was hoping to get approved to have a look and give my thoughts on it.

Have to say though. Been reading and keeping an eye on that thread, wondering how long before the XF clan start posting their anti IPB comments because they've now got a working IPB 4 demo online? You just know it's gonna happen at some point.

Read Dillon Lawrence is not that impressed, but wanted to be. He wrote a small review here.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  4. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

I'm also not THAT impressed (but i've also only seen the editor and the not approved message:D )

What i'm really loving is the javascript code. I've spent the last hours with reading and learning from it.

5. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Bit surprised, know it's early days yet in development. But reading feedback on TAZ given so far by a few, most don't seem impressed by it.

6. Alfa1

Alfa1 Regular Member

why does it matter what people on TAZ write? we are on AT.

Superboy, Lizard King and Lee G like this.
  7. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Who the [****][****][****][****] is Dillon Lawrence?

Superboy likes this.
  8. Lizard King

Lizard King Regular Member

I've been using IPB 4 for a week now.

There are very nice improvements i saw over IPB 4

Speed , responsive design are really nice. I can't await testing how fast forum will be with Redis enabled.

Though there are things i dislike a lot but i never expected a solution which will fit perfect for our needs.

I will be monitoring closely but atm here are the modifications where we start outlining for inhouse development :

1. ElasticSearch Integration
    2. Small hook to remove Create+ button
    3. Major improvement and changes to Notifications ( including Instant Notifications )
    4. Ad spot auto update when a pagination element is clicked

But overall it has the most modern and flat looking design.

Now it is time to monitor further and see if they nailed unification or not.

Superboy and AWS like this.
  9. Lizard King

http://d.pr/nobU/4GdFV5UI and then consider if he is something you want to consider as an opinion expert lol

Superboy likes this.
  10. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Don't know him, was just naming him because he's had a lot to say about the IPS 4 demo site on taz.

11. Dillon Lawrence

Dillon Lawrence Regular Member

Me ;)

You provide a screenshot of one post and completely disregard every other comment made (which were backed up and were genuine opinions). Even others commented on your lack of willingness to provide criticism or accept it.

I provided feedback and posted bugs. I don't see the issue as they weren't falsified.

12. Lizard King

Enjoy man :)

13. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Have access now to demo site. First glance, only been on board a few minutes before it went down. The text editor, font-size used is too small, unsuitable really for all people, especially those who don't have perfect vision (ageing eyes). I cannot understand why they keep insisting on stopping with using such a small font-size with each release in both post read, and being written in editor.

ips-4-demo-text-editor.png

Seen a few other nice touches, not to sound too negative. Nice multi-quote "counter box" effect, LIKES looks better than XenForo with green and red buttons. Theme style is more bland than was expecting it to look, a lot of white, colour mainly used only top of forum around header area - below that seems like too much white is used (bland). Maybe the sidebar header title columns could do with using same dark blue colour as forum CATS to make it look less bland, as that very faint "off white" colour used for it instead - doesn't really help much in breaking the colour scheme up to look less stark below header area.

1.PNG

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  14. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

It is beautiful.

When everyone sees the power of the entire suite and how simple and unified everything is to create a complete website, from CMS, to gallery, to blogs, to shopping integration it won't be leaving much to be desired on the finished product.

15. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I take back what I said before about font-size being too small in posts read, looks fine checking other threads reading. Just editor think it's too small for writing with. If they had same font-size used in editor for writing with, as the size I see displayed reading posts, it would be perfect.

16. Lizard King

Put on your glasses GTB :)

But agreed font size can be a bit bigger

17. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I don't wear glasses unless it's something really close up to me with very small text (like on a food box telling you how to cook it). I can't use "reading glasses" when reading a PC screen from 1-2 foot away because my eyes are not that bad, it makes things worse wearing glasses (near sight has gone with age), but never worn glasses all my life and had perfect vision until about around 5 years ago, went with age. So for me to write a message using IPB 4, I can do it, but it feels like a choir because I kind of struggle with that smaller font size, even though I can see it not blared or anything without reading glasses. But it's that kind of small size that borders on not being that easy to use writing a message with when your near sight goes with age, but not enough to be able to wear reading glasses at a computer.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Here we go, something I did in photoshop, pasted text from a post into text editor to show the difference how it could look if font-size matched (same size as displayed in posts)

First image shows smaller text size used now:
    ips-4-demo-text-editor.png

This one was edited in photoshop with same font-size used in posts (placed in editor). Perfect!!! How it should look.
    tr.png

19. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Why isn't IPB 4 using responsive YouTube, so the video reduces in size when you minimize the browser to mobile viewing size. Instead scrollbars appear and video stays same size.

I added responsive YouTube on my phpBB 3.1 forum and works fine testing. Posted a guide on phpBB about it. https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=45481&p=262947&hilit=youtube#p262947

WordPress uses Responsive YouTube for mobile viewing state as well, with it's new responsive theme. Why scrollbars and keeping video same size when it's a responsive theme with IPB 4 and doesn't really suit mobile viewing of them.

Demo site:
    http://avexdesigns.com/responsive-youtube-embed/

20. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

If that's what's coming out of the box I agree it is "bland" and unimpressive. Not worth the money they ask IMO