Infographic: The Hidden Value of Long Tail SEO

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Brandon, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Long tail SEO is a lesser-known, yet incredibly powerful technique for building up your organic search engine traffic. Research suggests (and HitTail users agree) that long tail keywords are easier to rank for, bring in more combined traffic, and convert more visitors to customers than head keywords.
    Learn more about the power of long tail SEO from our latest infographic:

hidden-value-of-long-tail-seo-1000.png

I've been using http://Hittail.com since about 2007 and it's been awesome, well worth checking out if you have time and a few bucks. (it was free when I signed up)
    It's a great tool to track your longtail ;)

BennyCurry and Dan Hutter like this.
  2. johnthomas1433

johnthomas1433 Regular Member

Yes. Most people fail to understand the importance of long tail keywords. Most of them are low competition keywords, and one can easily rank them up. And the most important thing is that their combined traffic is close to the traffic of your primary keyword!

Brandon likes this.
  3. limcid

limcid Regular Member

Thank you for reminding me about HitTail. I used to use the site as well, maybe about five years ago. It was very helpful. I would create video tutorials based on the keyword info that I got from it. I really helped to build a strong following for my site.

It was free back when I was using, too. I wonder if having an account with them when they were getting established has any benefits (discount?). I'll have to look into it.

EDIT: Nope, I have to reactivate the expired account with a credit card. <sniffle>

Brandon likes this.
  4. boyuancy

boyuancy Regular Member

I guess Long Tails work when you have chosen a good niche - with at least 50k searches and a low competition. Rank for one primary seed (or head, I guess that's what you mean by that) keyword and optimize your site for related long tails.

And about HitTail... I have to say, I've never heard of it! The tools that I see being mentioned often are Market Samurai and the now - Long Tail Pro. But HitTail? This is a first. I've gotta go check it out.

Brandon likes this.
  5. BennyCurry

BennyCurry Regular Member

I've never understood why some people would try to rank a keyword that could take them months to achieve just because it brings in a lot of traffic. And you're not always going to get it ranked either, plus a change to the algorithm could sweep all of that hard work in an instant. I'd much rather go for long-tails which can rank in a matter of days, and when you add them up there can be plenty of traffic.