I thought I would take a look...

Discussion in 'SMF Discussions' started by Jack Rouse, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jack Rouse

Jack Rouse Regular Member

at SMF.

Just because I've read a few people who think it's the best free platform out there.

To be honest I can see why they say that, from a first users point of view it's as easy as any other to set up, but once you have done that, it can be a bit confusing, the ACP is totally different from any other I've seen, and takes a bit of getting used to, it's actually a bit of mess compared to the layout and tab structure like there is phpBB3 or MyBB, and it lacks the organisation of VB.

Once you get used to it, and it takes a bit of time, the way you install MODs is as good as MyBB, and a lot better than phpBB3, but maybe lacks a bit of the finesse in paid for software.

I'm not sure if I will stick with it, the theme I've chosen for the board I'm constructing is well in niche, but it looks outdated.

There also seems to be a bit of misalignment, but that could be down to the theme and not the core.

I don't think I would ever be 100% happy using it, and I certainly don't think I would be able to be as enthusiastic about it as others are.

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I set up SMF for my wife's knitting forum. I thought the backend was confusing although I didn't really do much except setup a few forums. My wife thought it was mush easier than phpBB which the old forum used.

3. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I run a couple of fairly large forums on SMF. The main problem with it as far as I'm concerned is the glacially slow development has left it somewhat behind other platforms e.g. the UI is not responsive, there's no 'like' system, no multi-quote etc. However despite that, I still use it, my long standing installations have never been hacked and I find it very light on server resources.

Oh and there are also some rather decent theme designers around...

smf.jpg

Soulwatcher likes this.
  4. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Regular Member

I was just going to say I have seen some really slick SMF boards out there one of them that comes to mind right off the top of my head is . http://ourmomspot.net/community/

Greg

zappaDPJ likes this.
  5. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

Indeed, that forum a great example of what can be achieved with a bit of effort.

Soulwatcher likes this.