I beg you never to use GoDaddy hosting.

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by benchtech, Feb 5, 2012.

1. benchtech

benchtech Inactive

First Name:
    Ben
    I know this is not strictly installation but it is the best place for it as hopefully it is the place that everyone will see it, I, and many others on the internet have had the worse experience in the world with GoDaddy and I want to save you the misfortune of paying into a contact which is awful.

I like many others faithfully bought GoDaddy hosting a while ago in good faith that for my money I would get a reasonable quality of hosting, I bought the most expensive shared hosting package that they offer which is always advertised as fast, and powerful, how wrong could I be, how wrong could I be! I bought cloud hosting meaning that the loads for my website should be spread out over multiple servers to stop my site being slow, from the first site load the speed was god damn awful, the servers could hardly handle one user loading a Wordpress php file and it took around 10 seconds to even display a page, naturally I put this down to it being a new site and continued to bare the speed.

It then came to installing my SSL certificate, I filled in all the details they needed and they said it would be installed within the next 72 hours, I patiently waited and at 48 hours I could see that there was no sign of any changes, I called them up to advise them of this, 'No Sir, I can assure you it will be done within 72 hours'. 72 hours later still nothing. I began to get really impatient as you cannot even use your hosting control panel when the certificate is being installed, I called them up and was assured that it would be installed within the next 2 hours, I waited a further 12 hours and then called them up again, I was then told I would have to wait another 72 hours by their crap customer support.

After it was finally installed I thought I could finally get on with what I wanted to do with the hosting, my website. I made my website and still noticed the slowest loading speeds in the world, my users were complaining at how slow it was and that they were waiting 10+ seconds to begin even loading the site. I thought 'hey! No problem I can use their award winning support that they advertise'. I sent in my message and sent in a ticket explaining how it was nothing to do with the site and was THEIR servers, what do I get back? An automated response. It was evident that they did not even read my ticket and just sent an automated response with tips on how to speed up my website, I sent in more and more tickets and they did the same thing, they send back automated responses and then in the end try and blame it on my site saying 'PHP is intensive'.

I wouldn't mind if I had loads of users, but when I am the only person on my site I experience awful loading times, sometimes it is faster than other times which should not happen on so called 'cloud hosing'.

I beg of you not to use GoDaddy, I never had any of these problems with hosts such as 1and1, before you suggest it's my internet connection I can assure you that it is not, other sites loads lightning fast and mine is consistently slow. I am now putting it through cloud flare to try and squeeze some speed out before my contract is up, but please do not use them.

GoDaddy, do not reply to this message, I have seen you respond to these before claiming it is some abnormal thing that should not be happeneing and never does usually happen, you can stick your PR posts where the sun does not shine, I've had enough of you, you've robbed me.

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I've heard similar stories from other. Maybe one day they will get their act together as far as hosting goes.

2 people like this.
  3. benchtech

benchtech Inactive

First Name:
    Ben
    It's very irritating, out of interest what sort of hosting is this site on? I'm going to have to move my site soon.

4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I have a mix of dedicated servers at Softlayer and a couple servers I built co-located at a a data center near where I live.

5. benchtech

benchtech Inactive

First Name:
    Ben
    Sounds very expensive :P, what sort of VPS would you reccomend? I don't know what power I need if I'm honest, I run XenForo on my site and would ideally like to support around 25+ members at a time without a reduction in performance.

6. benchtech

benchtech Inactive

First Name:
    Ben
    Oh, also I have no idea how to set a server up, so I'd need a managed one if I'm honest.

7. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Try URLJet.com Not the least expensive out there but they do not oversell shared hosting on each server. Customer Service is very good too. I've been with them for a few years now and the only outages I've ever had were my own fault.

8. bucket

bucket Addict

I use godaddy hosting for some static websites. someday I will try installing some free forum software, just to see how well it works there.

9. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I also heard good things about them.

10. H Potter

H Potter Gruv

URLJet are good, I've used it.

11. ForumContractor

ForumContractor Regular Member

First Name:
    Rob
    I used Godaddy years ago. and always had good luck with it. but with life getting busy. I quit all my online activity. (admins/mods/hosting) and so on.

so last year I decided to go back and since I had such good luck with Godaddy in the past. I was like hey lets use them again. it was the worst experience I have ever had. emails would take sometimes 48 hours to send out. which is not good when you are running a forum that requires email activation so they told me. if I got a VPS this would not be a issue. so I went to a VPS. and the issue continued. they then said go to dedicated. and the issue will not continue.

and they are right. the issue did not continue. but then I ran into a whole new set of issues. so I would ask for support. and they would tell me. sorry we don't deal with that issue. or they would give very vague information on how to fix it.

so I quit after just a few very LONG months with them. I went to another company ordered a dedicated server. and well that did not go over so well either.

but now I've found a decent company.

while your site is small (under 1000) I would stick with a adjustable Cloud server. or VPS that way as your site grows. you can add new memory, and whatever else you need for a low fee each month. once it gets to cost more then the upgraded server. then I would move. usually if you stay with the same company. they will usually do a backup for free that way you are only down for a few min. and it saves you money in the long run.

2 people like this.