How stable is vb4.2.2

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Lee G, Jul 21, 2014.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Regular Member

Oh and for the record, this is the exact same company (Internet Brands) who in their infinite wisdom, thought it was a really great idea in vBulletin 4 to publish your MySQL username, password, hostname, and database name as part of the Frequently Asked Questions of your very own vBulletin install.

jmurrayhead likes this.
  2. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    You're hilarious. This definitely is not hindsight. It's from 10+ years of writing software myself. It's from seeing a great product get destroyed in a matter of a few years.

How dare you compare what IB is doing to Henry Ford and Rutherford. Please remove head from ass.

3. Jack Rouse

Jack Rouse Regular Member

Oh dear.

I shall reply by just saying that in experience, when a person resorts to insults in a discussion it is :

a) they have nothing worthwhile to say.

b) they have lost the argument

You obviously do not comprehend the allegory, or the development those two got wrong, before they got it right.

4. Terry

Terry Regular Member

Observation tells me that it is you who has the head in the sand.

5. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

IB did not think it was a good idea, show me a single post where they said anything like this.
    It was a genuine mistake made by a very experienced developer during a large merge of several branches (yes, someone you were full of praise for when he left).
    Making such stupid and dumb statements is something I would have expected from the usual trolls here, I always thought you better than that.

Lee G likes this.
  6. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

4.2.3 us perfectly fine, and wont get its beta tag removed for quite a while since there is no official QA of it.

7. Jack Rouse

Jack Rouse Regular Member

Oh yea of little faith.

The only reason that XF has been so successful is because of it's links with VB, if it had not had those links it would be where most other platforms are now, it got a lot of publicity from the court case, and from the people who left VB to develop it, no other platform has had that kind of leg up.

Superboy likes this.
  8. Lee G

Lee G Regular Member

First Name:
    Lee
    To be perfectly honest Paul, as much as I want to rush or push the upgrade, when its 30+ degrees in the house this time of year on our cool days and will be until September at the earliest, I would rather wait a few weeks or month

It also means I can wait to see the progress on vb5, my own personal choice on upgrade
    Just wish that Paul M bloke would update his mods to vb5. Some of my most used mods for tracking traffic, catching spiders etc

And thanks for taking the time to give your feedback, much appreciated

9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Regular Member

I forget that sarcasm doesn't translate very well in text.

10. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

I'm afraid thats probably never going to happen, on a personal level I have no interest in running vB5.
    I'm quite happy with our forum running on 3.8.9 atm, though I will likely move it to 4.2.3 when I have lots of spare time.

AWS and Lee G like this.
  11. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    You act as if Internet Brands did something revolutionary with vBulletin - an already existing, well functioning product. Instead, with the help of poor management, they just botched it up over and over again. But I suppose it's not worth arguing with someone like you.

ManagerJosh and Terry like this.