How do you transfer your backups to your computer or remote server?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've been using a shell script to take a backup of each forum at night, but when it comes to "the last mile" of the backup process, that's where my plan breaks down. I still haven't managed to find an automated way to download the files on a regular basis.

I tried a program called SyncBack: I set all the settings correctly, had it run automatically once a day when I first booted up, but though the program would load it would never transfer the files.

Complicating factor: I don't have shell access.

Any ideas?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I tend to generate full backups (three to four times daily) via cPanel. Once they have been generated, I have them placed (automatically) in the root directory of that individual account. Using an FTP client, I then copy the backup off of my server and have it saved to my desktop.

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I was hoping to avoid logging on and FTPing them manually; it wouldn't get done on a regular basis.

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I run a cron job 2x a day using the mysqldump command (as per Steve on vB.com).

I'm going to purchase another hosting account just for backups and use the scp command as opposed to ftp.

I'm in the middle of figuring all this out right now.

My thought is eventually I'll be away for a week or a month, they can queue up on the other backup hosting site and I can delete the ones not needed when I return.

Here is the thread I started related to this issue:
    http://www.adminaddict.net/forum/security-legal-disputes/what-your-plan-when-you-get-hacked-848/